Rudder bearings are 60 days out

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Rudder bearings are 60 days out

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

I’m glad I quit procrastinating and ordered my replacement rudder bearings from Rudder Craft. It will take two months to get them. My C26 renovation will probably drag on for at least that long. When I disassembled my rudder I discovered that the plywood core was rotted in a small accessible area. Working on this boat has turned into finding additional little problems. Right now the last three major issues are the stuck in place swing keel, replacing the rotten cockpit floor plywood backing and possibly addressing the hull-deck seams. Three big projects.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: Rudder bearings are 60 days out

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

The rudder bearing (only one!) arrived. I should have carefully read the fine print. The photo shows a pair but the price was for EACH. Fortunately they over ordered from the manufacturer and still had another one in stock. It arrived after a couple of days and me spending another $50. I now have the rudder and tiller reinstalled in the boat. I used never seize paste on the shaft, collar, bolts, keyway and head. Removing the seized rudder after 44 years took me two days.
brigadoon

Re: Rudder bearings are 60 days out

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
Hope you get to do some sailing soon. How about some pictures !
Rick, SV Brigadoon