Mast step/Tabernacle?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
TBDay

Mast step/Tabernacle?

Post by TBDay »

Hello all. Proud new owner of a 77 22ft Chrysler. First time sailor, sailboat owner. There is some old damage to the wood and fiberglass mast step.ptetty shotty repair last time . Needing to know if the top of the mast step is square to the deck or to what. Don't trust how the old one was.the wood is square to the deck looks like but the fiberglass that was over it had a tilt to the stern. Boat has the hinge setup. It's off the trailer in my shop. Need to adjust it a bit to level it to the water line which looks like it will make the V birth and table area level fore and aft. If some one could help out would be great. I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I go
77 Chry 22' S.W KS
TBDay

Re: Mast step/Tabernacle?

Post by TBDay »

Any help would be greatly appreciated
77 Chry 22' S.W KS
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

I can get you some pix next few days of mine. Leveling is tricky. Doing mine (1980 C22), I had the boat level on trailer. Of course requires some separate factors to confirm true level and plenty of resources online for that. When sure of level, attach simple strings (port and stbd) from masthead and a plumb bob to center. Raise mast. Plumb bob the mast to exactly center on mast step adjusting the shroud lines. Check length for port and stbd outer shroud lines. Are they consistent,.very close? Lock those in and rigging complete..
TBDay

Post by TBDay »

I have it off the trailer inside the shop so raising the mast is not possible. Checking the V birth and the seats for table inside against the water line mark are very close. Way the rigging looked and the mast step fiberglass broken badly repaired would not trust that part is even close. Looks like the back stay snapped at some point has some hardware store repair to it large turn buckle couple cable clamps.
77 Chry 22' S.W KS
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Today
I believe you are on the right track. The boat should be designed to float with the table level I would suggest that you use the cockpit floor as your datum and make the mast step level with that. You won’t be far off and there is a little bit of adjustment when you rig with the shrouds. In any case the boat will sail fine and unless you are racing and want the enth degree of performance it’s unlikely you will be dissatisfied with the end result.Good luck.
Rick SV Brigadoon
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

TBDay wrote:I have it off the trailer inside the shop so raising the mast is not possible. Checking the V birth and the seats for table inside against the water line mark are very close. Way the rigging looked and the mast step fiberglass broken badly repaired would not trust that part is even close. Looks like the back stay snapped at some point has some hardware store repair to it large turn buckle couple cable clamps.
Not sure if these help. The only difference with mine is the SS hinge plate is my own design. The C22 originally came with an aluminum hook design that fit into the mast foot. I quickly got rid of that. Researching this forum you'll find out why. Several sad stories where the hook came disengaged....and well, not good :(

I can get measurements if you need those. Basically though, the height of the step is the same fore and aft. Bubble level it (the boat) there and the boat is same as level in the water
IMG_20220524_1507445.jpg
IMG_20220524_1507384.jpg
IMG_20220524_1507309.jpg
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

TBDay wrote:Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attach some pix when you can. File size is limited so post if you need help with that. There's a stickie post somewhere I wrote about resizing to fit, etc..
TBDay

Post by TBDay »

Thanks. For the help so far. I do have the hinge and not the hook style step. 2 measurements I would like to have is the height above the deck of the mast step. And if someone could put a straight edge pointing back towards the companion way and give me the height difference to the deck at point A and B. So if the straight edge is going aft 3 ft and the bottom of the straight edge is 4 inches at the step and 2.5 inches to the deck that will give me another reference point to get me close. Thanks for the help so far
77 Chry 22' S.W KS