Pivot pin properties?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Pivot pin properties?

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

On the C26, does anyone know if - when factory new, was the pivot pin free to rotate within the recessed sockets of the support shoes. Was the hole through the swing keel oversized enough for the pin to freely rotate within the keel? I’m almost ready to acquire a new pivot pin and reinstall the entire assembly but I don’t know how tight is too tight or loose too loose. I’m leaning towards loose. After spending weeks battling a pivot pin that was solidly rusted and fused to cast iron at all three contact points, once is enough.
brigadoon

Re: Pivot pin properties?

Post by brigadoon »

Gary,
I know that at least one forum member put a bushing in the keel when he reconditioned it. I’m sure the keel rotates on the pin. I would expect the pin should be a snug fit in the shoes. I doubt you will ever have to redo the keel again, remember it took a long time to be seized before you got it. If you have a trailer and sail in fresh water the repair will last a long long time.
Rick, SV Brigadoon
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

Great progress! I was able to beat the pivot pin stub out of the keel. I’ve extracted the two last stubborn seized shoe bolts and I ran a tap through all the holes. Next step is to epoxy and fair up the hull under the shoes and around the keel slot Then I can barrier coat and reattach the shoes and swing keel. The end is in sight.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Congratulations
Rick