Climbing the Mast

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bernina27

Climbing the Mast

Post by bernina27 »

Has anyone gone up their mast, or sent the lightest member of their family up? I let go of the *&^%$#@ halyard again.... and this was after I rigged up some shock cords so I wouldn't let it go. I am NOT stepping that mast again.

How far down do your halyards come? Mine only come down to a attach to a bracket on the mast which is about 6'6" off the deck. I stand on my tippy toes praying I don't let them go, hence the shock cord.

Thanks!
choyado

hoist the cabin boy

Post by choyado »

I sent my brother up the mast using one of the winches and didn't have a problems. He weighs about 140.
Jeremiah
Michael O'Brien

Loose halyard

Post by Michael O'Brien »

We've retrieved ours with a long bamboo pole with a wire hook attached. I've seen suggestions to lash small rings to the halyard ends to use for grabbing if this happens in the future. Do you have wire leads on the halyards? They should come down near the deck level or close to it. Many jib halyards will attach to the pulpit rail; our original main comes almost to the mast cleat. I think I would make a wire extension of about 4 feet for your situation. Good luck, Michael O'Brien
Rich

Post by Rich »

Bernina27, you live not too far from Jim L. I suggest you have him show you the ropes on stepping the mast on the boat. He's got it down so good, the other week I watched him take his mast down, and put it up, then take it down again in his slip on the water, by himself.

I know what you mean about it being a pain stepping that mast, I had a heck of a time when I did it, but watching Jim, I know that the problem's not with the mast, but with my technique. Heck, I plan on having him give me a couple lessons again (he was there when I took possesion of the boat, and he showed me how to take down the mast, made it look simple, but too much time went between then and my stepping it again, and CLEARLY I forgot how he did it.)

Anyway, once you get good like Jim, you won't hessitate at raising and lowering the mast.

:D

-Rich
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
bernina27

Going up went well

Post by bernina27 »

I'm not sure if my bruises are worth the $70 I saved not buying a bosun's chair, but I made it up and down pretty easily. I saved the masthead rig my friend tied up for me just in case.

In reply to the wire halyard length, they are very short. The main only comes to about 5 feet off the deck. The jib halyard does not come down far enough to attach to the bow pulpit or life lines. The wire extensions sound like a great idea, Thanks!

I will look Jim L. up because the first time I stepped the mast with my friend it was incredibly easy. But as was mentioned, I can't remember how we did it.