Sunk 26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
njerrell

Sunk 26

Post by njerrell »

Hello all been awhile since i posted about the swing keel on my C-26 with concerns about the drought we were in here on West Point Lake Ga,well the lake level came up and my boat didnt,i think when the boat was on the bottom the rudder post was jammed as the fitting on the tiller was pushed up about 3 inches,does any know how the post comes through the hull,is possible the hull could be busted around the post or could the fitting just have came loose,i cant get under the boat as she is flooded and sitting on bottom,i am trying this weekend to raise her using huge inner tubes{about 50 inches inflated} by stuffing them in the cabin and then inflating them to help displace some of the water,any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.p.s. I have already thought of changing my name and address and never going back to the marina,
.lol
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Oh, man, I am sorry to hear that. I've got some pics of the thru hull area on my website. Try here:

http://www.att.net/p/s/community.dll?e ... 81169&ck=

It is possible the clamp at the lower end of the hose came loose, or the fitting could have broken.

Also a pic of the rudder post assembly here
http://www.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep ... 301349&ck=

There is a concave place on the hull bottom that the lower mushroom cap goes up in. I wouldn't think the hull would be busted by that plastic bearing, most likely the other way around.

Water also could have come in thru the galley sink drain thruhull if that got under water. My bilge pump ties into that same drain, and since the pump sits low in the boat, it would siphon water in if the thruhull got below water.

If you could get a flat inner tube under the hull stern, and inflate that it would help break her loose from the mud.

If the link doesn't work, let me know, I can email you pics, or post them here.

Beau
Last edited by EmergencyExit on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Wow what bad news. Actually more of a nightmare.

Good luck getting her back on top of the water. how much water is she under?
Gus

Post by Gus »

Let me see if I can find you a link of a guy raising a sunken mac 21 using a water pump. How deep did your boat sunk?

Gus

p/s I found it quick, there u go

http://www.shortypen.com/essays/sunken/index.htm
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

seeing how I'm not having to play in that cold water - i live on the southside of atlanta, i KNOW how cold it is today - i can urge you to look at the bright side. At least we now have enough water in Lake Lanier to sink a boat. Did that come out right? If push comes to shove, we can have a "raising party". Best of luck with that.
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

Thanks for all the input,looks like my works cut out for me,to answer some questions my slip is up to about 7 1/2 feet now,the boat is completly submerged and i have a large swimming pool pump some guys used to pump out a house boat a couple of weeks ago but that does me no good untill i get her gunnells above the water,i have ten of the large tubes to inflate inside her but am thinking if i can gain some bouyance from 8 of them,i could lash the other 2 under her stern and inflate them enough to get the stern out of the water to fix the rudder through hull.Being the brillant thinker i am, im sure i caused this because i was tired of the rudder kicking up, i jump in one day while sailing and put a ratchet strap around the rudder to stop that from happening and left it like that,i stopped the rudder from kicking up but being in the down position when the level fell im sure that pushed the fitting loose,so what seemed a "easy'' fix turned out to be a costly one!!! Thanks again guys and ill keep you posted.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Couple of other random thoughts -take some bungs with you and plug any thruhulls if you can, esp that sink drain. Also the hull has a good slope from the transom to the rudder post and beyond - if that is where the breach is, you may be able to spin her around (once she's up), stern towards the shore, run a couple boards from the shore to under the stern and drag her up on them to keep that rudder post out of the water till you fix the leak.

With as much water as you say she is under, there may well be no holes, just that she sat stuck until water reached the cockpit and flooded her thru the cabin boards.

Keep us up to date, and good luck !
somers12

Post by somers12 »

I was under the impression that a Chrysler sailboat couldn't sink if flooded because of the built in foam; and the main reason I bought my C-22. I realize that can depend on the extra weight you installl... Am I wrong?

Steve
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

I am pretty sure water came into the boat from somewhere, either a tru-hull or damage. It would have needed to be really stuck in mud to be overflow. As a rought estimation, there is as much volume over the waterline than under, so thats another 5000 pound of flotation pushing the boat upward.. well, maybe less cause the boat was on its side, but still lot of flotation.

Good lock on lifting it, at least you have an all-fiberglass hull that should not be damaged by all this water
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

If im not mistaken only the C-22 has positive foam flotation,the C26 does not,I think ill try to raise her tommorow,ill let everyone know the outcome,maybe try to post some pics
Gus

Post by Gus »

Good luck! and please do post pictures!
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

njerrell wrote:If im not mistaken only the C-22 has positive foam flotation,the C26 does not,I think ill try to raise her tommorow,ill let everyone know the outcome,maybe try to post some pics
Your right, what I meant was flotation while the water was going up but not yet overboard(hypothetically, cause it probably floaded from inside) now of course it does not have much flotation left!

For your tube, you need approx 80 cubic feet of air to equalize the weight of your C26, seem very feasable, keep us informed how it went!
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Bump!

Curious as to has this played out,, and what, no picts!???

Hope your high an dry by now!

Billy
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

Hello,sorry its taken so long to get back to this but works kind of gotten in the way,i have hired a diver to come out this saturday and do the tubes for me,i didnt really want to pay a diver but honestly id rather him be in the water than me!!!i will take some pics out there as we bring her up,and i think i have some before pics on a digital camera,i had just redone the interior,looked pretty good,but thats gone now,i also noticed the bow was cracked on the deck and the bow pulpit is damaged,not sure if it can be fixed or not,guess i wont worry with that untill she is up and i know if its salvegable or not, ill keep you posted
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Oh, man - Keep us up to date, good luck.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Any updates on this? I hope you got her above water!
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

Hello, sorry its been awhile,been struggling with the boat a bit but we finally got her deck above water this past saturday, the boat now has 16 truck tire inner-tubes inflated inside her,but she is FLOATING!!!!!! I have a three inch trash pump we are taking out one day this week to finish getting the water out of her,I hope no one else meets this fate because it is one hell of a mess,but im pretty confidant ill get her back to her former glory fairly quick,im thinking of ways to improve the cabin layout since im going to gut her and start fresh anyway.Also the guy across from me put a for sale sign on his c-22 saturday,asking 1500 ,she looks well ,needs cleaning of course and no trailer but might make someone a good boat for the money,if anyone is interested let me know and ill get the number for ya.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Make sure you take plenty of pictures. She was pretty before her bath I am sure she will be that nice again. The good thing about doing the work again is you now have a do over. More work but should be quicker!