Where to put a water tank

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
phroxis

Where to put a water tank

Post by phroxis »

I'd like to install a water tank into my '79 C22. Any ideas about where to put it while maintaining the trim of the boat?
bernina27

Watertank placement

Post by bernina27 »

I just removed a water tank from my second C22 which I simply call, the auction boat. The 5 gal tank was in the compartment aft of the dining table. The installer cut a filling hole on the forward side of that compartment. It was a flip lid half bowl, I've thrown that away. There also was an electric pump that fed the water to the dining table. The person had cut a sink sized hole/lid in the table. You would lift the lid and have a small plastic sink. There is a thru hull fitting (very badly done) through the port side of the cabin and hull to drain the sink water.

I am selling the boat so I think I will rebuild a table and cover all the holes.

I can take some photos if you would like. What size tank were you thinking of? My 26' Balboa has a sizable water tank under the V berth.

I still have the 5 gal tank. You can have it for free if you pay for shipping. I can send you some pics of that too.

Susan
phroxis

Post by phroxis »

I am thinking something 10 gallons or so, maybe. Addition of the weight of the water and the tank will affect the trim of the boat. Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks, Susan!
Wag4513

Water Tank

Post by Wag4513 »

I have a water tank in a small compartment under my galley which is fixed on the starboard side next to the bulkhead. It is only a couple of gallons.

10 gallons of water would weight around 70-80 pounds and would best be set on the cenerline of the boat either under the cockpit or in the v-berth storage compartment.
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
phroxis

Post by phroxis »

Maybe 10 gallons is too much. I think water is 8.75 or so pounds per gallon. Then the weight of the tank...

Along the centerline is a good idea. I'm not sure I want the boat bow heavy. Under the cockpit is good. That's where buckets and spare lines are now.

Wag4513, could you perchance email me pictures of the galley? That's where the water tank project is headed.

Thanks!