Model for a swing rudder anyone?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bernina27

Model for a swing rudder anyone?

Post by bernina27 »

I just bought a trailer for my swing keel boat. However the boat does not have a swing rudder. We haven't tried trailering it yet, the rudder may clear the ground.

If it doesn't clear, could anyone suggest how to make a swing rudder, or convert mine? I know from the last time I took the boat out that the rudder is fiberglass and floats.

Thanks!
Susan
dybis

Post by dybis »

This picture shows a drawing of the swing rudder fastening: http://www.geocities.com/thetropics/cab ... r_post.gif taken from this page:
http://www.geocities.com/thetropics/cab ... udder.html

I have my rudder disassembled for the moment.. If you have any questions, please give me a hint, I can take som photos if needed.

Haakon Dybdahl
phroxis

Post by phroxis »

The marina where I moor my boat used to sell Chryslers. They have a Chrysler stainless steel swing rudder assembly in inventory. They are at www.longlevelmarina.com.
bernina27

How to convert??

Post by bernina27 »

The drawings on the links are helpful. I still can't figure out how the lines raise and lower the rudder. Do the lines stay taut to keep it up and down. Where do they run? What are your swing rudders made of? Mine is fiberglass and floats. Mine also does not have the notch out.

If anyone has or could take pictures of the whole setup, the rudder, the eyeholes, transom etc etc, I would greatly apprectiate it. Thanks.

Susan
bernina27@yahoo.com
dybis

Post by dybis »

I have posted pictures in Yahoo-group (ChryslerC22). Mine is made of polyester, and foam (at least in the edge), but I am not sure if there is any other material inside the rudder. I hope not, because then it might be rotten.... Anybody now if there is any wood inside? The rudder had some damages, and was sort of worn. I rebuilt "missing parts" with quick-epoxy, and giving it a coating with epoxy so it should not absorb water.

I hope the pictures give you an idea how the rope system work. It has never been working on my boat. But the principles are simple I guess.