preferred life jacket or pfd

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
amayotte

preferred life jacket or pfd

Post by amayotte »

I am wanting to buy some new life jackets for my sailboat and canoing and such, so I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the subject.
I am looking for something comfortable, of course, with a pocket or two and lots of room to move the arms.
I was looking at the Salus Abacus and some from Stohlquist.

What do you sailors like to use?

Thanks,
Adam
Gus

Post by Gus »

I use none, but the people I sail with uses those automatic inflatable suspenders (like 130 bucks or so) They seem comfy to use all the time.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Gus,

Your saying that even when sailing in heavy weather you don't wear a life jacket?
I myself don't wear one all the time, but in heavy winds I definitely put on a jacket and IMO I don't like the inflatables. I'm not too sure why.

Thanks for your reply though Gus, it's appreciated. I'm having a hard time deciding on this one...they're not cheap and very important.

Adam
Gus

Post by Gus »

I dont think I would be sailing in those conditions. And if I get cough, I'll seek shelter first, and I'll tie a line to the mast and then to my waist, but no, I don't wear one 99% of the time.
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Now that you mention that Gus, what are the usual wind speeds that you sail in?

I ask because I am one of only 3 sailboats that I have seen on my lake. The lake is 40 miles long and about half of the time I am sailing in winds of around 20 knots. I am definitely not the most comfortable sailing in those winds but when a guy only gets 4 months of good sailing a year (winter is long here) and half the time it's crazy windy...there isn't much choice for being choosy. And I make sure I'm wearing a life jacket during those days.

Adam
Gus

Post by Gus »

its not THAT bad in here. Most of the time I'm looking for the wind. Of all the times I went out, I had 1 bad day that I needed to reef the main under way, but it wasn't a gale or anything like it, just a little too windy.
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

I use a self inflating model with a D ring for a life line.

Jim
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

http://www.supersites.ca/westcoastsport ... ackets.jpg

I wear one of those, mainly cause they are not butt-ugly. I prefer foam as its 100% sure of working, and when the condition are so that I wear it, it's usually not nice & warm so the extra insulation is welcome anyway! But if I were in very hot climate I might prefer an inflatable