Manowar

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
gizmoJoe

Post by gizmoJoe »

Another Manowar! Welcome aboard.

Joe
1967 Man-O-War
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

garton_k wrote:Hi,
I recently inherited a Man O War from my aunt who was had never used after she bought it several years ago. It has been sitting outside the whole time and now it needs some work. The centerboard trunk is rotten and needs to be stabilized, the cockpit needs some work, and the stern bumper rail and corners is missing. I have ideas to fix the first two, but have not found a replacement bumper rail.
Welcome aboard Garton!

The rub rail may be tough to find. I believe it's actually crimped onto the boat helping to join the deck and hull together.

Although the following site does not appear to have crimp-on rub rails, you may find something that will work.

http://www.rubrails.com/aluminum_solid.html

Lee
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
isaacs

Post by isaacs »

Hi all. I have anothertopic for manowar repair and I was hoping some of you could weigh in on the best manner to separate the hull and make some repairs.
Thanks,
Isaac.S
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

AFAIK the deck cannot be easily separated from the hull. I believe the two are joined with epoxy and then the rub rail is crimped on.

Not sure how you would get them apart without causing a lot of work for yourself.

Depending on where the repair is needed, it might be a better option to cut access holes in either the cockpit sides or deck to get to the problem area. Many of us have already done this at the bow and/or stern to get to remount the gudgeon or tie downs, etc...

Or you would have to do the work from the outside which isn't the prettiest.
Lee Hoeppner
isaacs

Post by isaacs »

From what the previous owner said, he had separated the hull to check on the flotation condition. He didn't say how he did it. The rub rail is coming off somewhat on one corner and I see lots of staples holding the two hulls together.
Thanks,
Isaac.S
Elman

Post by Elman »

Hi.
I've been enjoying reading your posts for a few days. I just learned that the boat I've owned for 30+ years is a mon-o-war. Not sure if you are still active but thanks for the useful information.

Elman
srmargaret

Hello Man o War sailors

Post by srmargaret »

I need some help on the size of rope and length for the man o war mainsheet.
Hope someone can help me I am using a very stiff and far to long of a rope for the man o war and it is always in the way.
Thanks,
Sister Margaret
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Sister Margaret!

While I do not have a "Man-o War" I was checking the manual on the main page.

I noticed the mainsheet has 4-1 purchase and would require a pretty lengthy line. Remember in a blow, you just may want to let the main all the way out in a big hurry and a line to short would become problematic at best. I'd rig the boat with the current line and set the main all the way out with 4:1 purchase rigged properly and use it as a starting point to find your desired length.

You should be able to reverse engineer the diameter of the mainsheet by checking what sized line flows nicely through the original blocks. A local West Marine would help.

As far as stifness, I would look into something like Samson XLS Yacht braid. The yacht braid typically has very good strength, low stretch and is easy on your hands.

Scott
srmargaret

Post by srmargaret »

Thank you Captain Scott,
But what do you mean by a 4:1 purchase?
Sincerely,
Sister Margaret
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Easiest to describe is by pictures! LOL!

Here is a link to the Man-o-War manual.
http://www.chryslersailors.com/Document ... anOWar.pdf

We have a lot of manuals on our main page thanks top the many contributions of members here!!

Open the document and scroll down to a picture of the boat with lots of parts labled. The title is " Man o War Nomenclature" and has a page number of "page 1"

on the top right is "Figure 2" listing part number 13084.
This is how your mainsheet should be rigged.

Notice the main sheet goes up and down 4 times!!

What this does is reduce the pulling power needed to haul in the main.
For example if you pull with 1 pound of power on the main sheet you actually get 4 pounds of pulling power!! However if you pull in 1 foot of line on the main sheet the actual pull is 1/4 of a foot on the boom!

4:1 is GREAT but does take a lot of line. Especially if you let the main all the way out! See how it would need to go back and forth 4 times to the jam cleat?

Hope this helps!

Scott
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Welcome aboard Sister Margaret!

Capt Scott gave you some good information. I wish I could give you more information about the exact length and size for the main sheet, but my boat is about 4 hours away at the family lake house.

Capt Scott is correct that it needs to be quite long. Not only for a sudden gust, but also to effectively go down wind since there is only the one sail.

On my MOW I have a locking swivel cleat that holds the sheet in place when tacking and so I can sail longer without my hand cramping up.

Additionally, you can use your feet when pull the sheet in. Just pull in some line, then step on it and pull in some more. It's not too hard. Don't worry about the extra line. As long as it is good braided sailing rope it shouldn't get tangled up. I would not recommend a stiff rope since it needs to feed in and out of two boom blocks plus the fiddle block connected to the trunk.

Let me know if you have any more questions about your MOW.

Lee
Lee Hoeppner
srmargaret

Main sheet

Post by srmargaret »

Dear Lee,
Thanks. I will be seeing our MOW this weekend and perhaps trying out a few older lines for the size on the pulleys. Then I will measure for the length.
Just thought I could get a ready answer for the MOW. We too have a swivel cleat for ours.
Thanks for your help.
Sister Margaret
UnsavouryGecko

I need help

Post by UnsavouryGecko »

Hello all, I purchased a man o war a couple years ago not knowing anything about it at the time, looking back i got an awesome deal, a sunfish, man o war, and a trailer for 100$.
Ive learned alot and have steadily been working on it, i only need some minor fiberglass repair, a gooseneck, and a sail. i can do the fiberglass but have no idea where to get a gooseneck or a sail. ive had this thing for 3 years and im ready to get it on the water and you guys seem to know everything there is to know, any help would be appreciated.