Manowar

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
gizmoJoe

Manowar

Post by gizmoJoe »

Image Lee,
I braced the daggerboard trunk with some white oak sealed with epoxy. Glued and screwed to the hull. When you get a chance could you measure your daggerboard and rudder for me ? My board measures 12X 37 inches approx. 12X 27 in the drink when fully extended. Thanks.

Joe
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Looks good Joe! I don't think that new bracing should be in the way at all for skipper or first mate.

I worked on my boat this weekend as well. I removed the old bow cockpit portals and replaced with deck plates that have water tight covers.

The fiber glass seamed pretty flimsy in the middle, so I reinforced it in the back with a 3/8" wooden dowel encased in fiberglass and epoxy resin. This stiffened it up quite a bit. The new portals are 6" whereas the old ones were 5", so this will give a lot more room for me to store the spars when trailering.

I also did some work on the center board trunk. The guy who had the boat before me attempted to fix the cracks on both support braces where they attach to the trunk, but did not do such a great job. I injected the cracks with resin and reglassed the areas.

I still need to get pictures of the finished product. Forgot to take any pictures during the actual work, but you will get an idea of what I did from how it was finished.

I have a busy week this week, so I probably won't be able to get the center board dimensions until around Friday.

Lee
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

One more thing. Your deck finish looks pretty faded. Before repainting try buffing it out. Not sure if that will help, but if it does it will be much better than paint.

The previous owner of my boat repainted it and now I get red paint rubbing off on my shorts! :x
Lee Hoeppner
gizmoJoe

Post by gizmoJoe »

Im not gonna paint the top lee, I have an old buffing wheel for cars so im gonna try some wax or maybe compound. Im going to replace those little portals also, Im thinking of just cutting out the cracked inside area and making a rectangular door about 9X15 inches. I'll see If i can find some kind of watertight door or cover and cut to those dimensions. I have to do some trailer refurbishing also. Only have to go 1/4 mile to my lake but I'll want to go on the road soon.

Joe
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Not a bad idea to put a hatch in place of the portals. I wish I had thought of that. I guess the hard part might be finding the right sized hatch.

Here is a picture of the finished product I took this morning before work. I don't have a flash on my camera phone, so you will need to wait for the pictures of the inside.

Here is another picture of the repair job on the trunk. See the big crack?

And finally, here is the picture of the center board with dimensions.

Let me know if you need anything else. I'm all ready to sail now. However, I am considering getting one of these Anderson mini-bailers to replace my broken one.

Lee
Lee Hoeppner
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

gizmoJoe wrote:...Im going to replace those little portals also, Im thinking of just cutting out the cracked inside area and making a rectangular door about 9X15 inches. I'll see If i can find some kind of watertight door or cover and cut to those dimensions...

Joe
I think I found something that might work for you, but I'm not sure if it's water tight. It's an inspections hatch and comes in various sizes. Click Here to go to the West Marine website and then search for item number 382699.

Here's a sample picture.

Lee
Lee Hoeppner
gizmoJoe

Post by gizmoJoe »

Lee,
The portals look good. if i can't find a decently priced hatch i'll probably go the same route you did, i think those round ones are pretty affordable on Ebay. It's a shame the paint comes off on your deck cause it looks really good, Maybe you could seal it with something? Thanks for the measurements, my board is a little different shape but approx. the same depth and total square inches. Are we the last two manowar owners left? Any other owners out there? Well I'll be putting her in the water soon I'll try to get some photos.

Joe
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

I believe there are more Man-o-war owners out there. We are just the only ones who post on the forum.

The paint rubbing off is a pain. A buddy suggested I buff it and then clear coat it. I might just do that.

Yeah, the hatches are more expensive than the deck plates, probably because of the hinges and such. I got my 6" deck plates for about $12 or $13. The stainless nuts/bolts and Silicon ran me about $10.

Btw, here are the pics of my rudder and tiller with dimensions.

Lee Hoeppner
gizmoJoe

Manowar shakedown cruise

Post by gizmoJoe »

Image Well, I sailed the Manowar for the 1st time today. Everything went pretty good despite the 15 to 25mph winds, Things were moving very fast.( I lost my hat because the boom knocked it over the side). Then the rain and hail started. Some weather for May. I kept circling around by the beach where my friend was taking photos in his boat ( ready to fish me out in case of a knockdown)

Joe
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

That's awesome Joe! :D But I'm jealous that you beat me out on the water this year.

No disrespect (because I'm a large man too), but your picture reminds me of Chris Farley on that little Dinghy in the movie Tommy Boy! :lol:

Despite that, I think you should crop and shrink it down to use as your avatar.

Did she sail fast for you? Any leaks?
Lee Hoeppner
gizmoJoe

Post by gizmoJoe »

I know, I thought television made you look 20 lbs heavier, not a still photo. I think it's a combination of the boat sitting so low in the water and the life jacket being so small...............and i am a large man also. I do plan on tripling Chris Farleys lifespan, However, I'm more than halfway there already. Enough on my girth. The boat sailed great. No leaks, the rudder I built worked good. The winds were gusty from 15-25 mph and were constantly changing direction, plus I wanted to stay near the beach and my friends boat in case i dumped her. A couple of times i had to really hike out to keep her from dumping and she just took off.My friend said at one point he could see almost the whole bottom of the boat, half the daggerboard out of the water! I can't wait til the water is warmer so i can air this baby out.The only problem was when i made the mast i just drilled a hole near the top for the halyard to raise and lower the sail and there was too much friction ,I had a hard time raising it. So today i put a hookeye atop the mast and attached a block then i put another block at the base of the sail and a cleat on the front of the daggerboard trunk. Now the sail goes up and down with ease. i tried to use some auto rubbing compound on the finish but the rains came again. Enjoy your sailing this weekend I'll keep you posted.

Joe
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Well it sounds like a very successful first run.

I want to get a hold of one of my friends' waterproof GPS handhelds for the weekend to see how fast I can get mine going.

I know it can really fly, but I am a poor judge of determining knots.

I hope I have some good weather. It's supposed to be in the low 70's on Saturday, but only 7mph winds.

Lee
Lee Hoeppner
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Both you guys are making me want one of these !

Joe, you might try the 3M Restorer And Wax Compound product. I was amazed at the results !

Link here:
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 311959&ck=

Beau
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

EE,

Yes, lot's of fun they are! I think I told you this already, but my 5-year old (at the time) was scared to death when I took him out the first time and has not gone back yet. My wife was even scared and has not tried again. The 5-year old vowed to give it another shot this year.

I might try that 3M product on the my hull. It's not chalky, but it does have some stains that I would like to get rid of. Definitely something to consider if/when I install a self-bailer.

Lee
Lee Hoeppner
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

It's sort of ironic but my wife likes going out on the Sunfish better than the C-22..................go figure.
gizmoJoe

Post by gizmoJoe »

Yeah Lee, My girlfriend was scared to death on a Catamaran in the Bahamas(even when i pointed out the water was only 4 feet deep). No way shes going on this boat. EE, I have a buffer like mentioned in your post and some auto buffing compound, Gonna get on that when the rain stops. The horizontal surfaces have a pebble type finish, i don't know how thats gonna work out.

Joe
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Joe,

I don't think you will have a problem buffing, but I know the non-skid texture they molded into the deck is not conducive to sanding.

Good luck, I hope it turns out.

on a side note, I just remembered this morning that I had one more repair to do on mine before heading up north Friday. Not a real big deal, I just have to replace the nuts and bolts on the center boards wood trim or handle if you will. The previous owner put a new wood piece on, but did not use locknuts or lock washers. All, but two off the nuts worked their way off and have been lost. I'm going to the store to get nylon lock nuts this afternoon.

A future project for me is to figure out a system to adjust the height of the center board to keep it up when I am in shallow water or beaching it. Here's what I'm thinking and let me know if you think this will work.

My center board is aluminum and I was thinking about drilling several holes in it at various vertical depths that I could insert a half inch diameter pin through to rest on the top of the trunk. See diagram below (not drawn to scale).

Lee Hoeppner
gizmoJoe

Post by gizmoJoe »

Lee,
We must be in a Manowar groove cause i was thinking of doing something similar. The only difference would be to attach the pin cable to the daggerboard trunk instead of the daggerboard itself so it wouldn't have to be so long. I think i saw somewhere that a wood wedge on a piece of cable was used like a little doorstop and was stuck down along the daggerboard into the trunk that way there wouldn't be any holes in the daggerboard and it would be infinately adjustable.

Joe
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

A bungee cord is often used as well, hooked to the center board then aft or forward to hold it at a specific height,
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Joe, nice to see you got your avatar out there!

Well, I went with my plan and it worked well. I can always move the pin if needed, but with it attached to the center board I can attach it from either side.

Sailing was great this weekend. It was nice getting back out there.

According to the GPS I maxed out at 6.5 knots on Saturday. I took my two boys with me on the first trip and put the older one in charge of the GPS. They were both having fun until I we started going over 5.5 knots. The 9 year old was really afraid we would tip over and started crying. Surprisingly, the 6 year old was just concerned at times, but was having fun.

On Sunday, I had much better wind and was sailing single-handed (although I always sail single-handled even when others are onboard. The minute I got out of the channel I caught good wind and got it up to 7.0 knots. I sailed around for about a half hour without bettering that so I thought that was about as fast as I could go. That was until I got on another section of the lake.

I got some really great wind on that side and was hiking out and back as far as I could to keep her upright. When I completed the tack I glanced at the GPS and the max speed was a whopping 14.8 knots. I'm not sure if the GPS glitched or if I was really going that fast! I sure was flying though and having a blast!
Lee Hoeppner
gizmoJoe

Faded finish

Post by gizmoJoe »

Hey gang,
I tried to compound the finish on the Manowar with so so results.I guess thats what 41 year old fiberglass is gonna look like. I don't know if I should try waxing it next as I don't want to be slipping off the side into the drink. Also a shot of the homemade mast with its 1st coat of spar varnish. Didnt get to sail over memorial day but I spent time at two different motorboat lakes up in NY and Powerboat traffic was almost nonexistant ( no sailboats at all either!) No traffic on the roads as in years past either. how about the rest of the country?

JoeImage[/url]
FranS

Post by FranS »

Sailed in the Western LI Sound Sunday afternoon. Very little traffic, usually at 5:00PM there is a steady line of power boats running both east and west. We were out for a brief shake down sail and in 90 minutes saw maybe 6 power boats and same number of sail boats. The mooring field is about 30% lighter this year by my eye, but its still early.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I am liking the fact that there are less power boats. I am hating the fact it takes $110 to fill my truck up. it is my only car that I drive and onyl have it because I own a sail boat.

then again I bike to work alot so I should not complain much. It will be nice when the amount of cars on the road are less.

It is only going to get worse.
Leeway

Re: Faded finish

Post by Leeway »

gizmoJoe wrote:Hey gang,
I tried to compound the finish on the Manowar with so so results.I guess thats what 41 year old fiberglass is gonna look like. I don't know if I should try waxing it next as I don't want to be slipping off the side into the drink. Also a shot of the homemade mast with its 1st coat of spar varnish. Didnt get to sail over memorial day but I spent time at two different motorboat lakes up in NY and Powerboat traffic was almost nonexistant ( no sailboats at all either!) No traffic on the roads as in years past either. how about the rest of the country?

Joe
From the picture it looks a lot better than it did before. I'm not sure if it's because of the camera angle or not, but it looks like the color is much darker.
Lee Hoeppner
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I think it looks better as well, and you are right, its not going to look new ever again.

I had to go over EE a couple times, lightly at first, and when the results weren't so good, a bit more aggressively with the pressure and the amount of compound. Went all the way up to a high speed buffer pad in a drill. At that point you get pretty close to melting the gelcoat between the high speed friction and the compound, so be very careful if you carry it to that extreme !!
IslandHopper

Post by IslandHopper »

I figured I'll make my first post in this thread, since I just purchased a Man-O-War last week. I'll post a photo or two when I get to the computer that has them.
Haven't actually had it in the water yet, had a couple minor things to "fix" first. Perhaps next week I'll get the time.
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

IslandHopper wrote:I figured I'll make my first post in this thread, since I just purchased a Man-O-War last week. I'll post a photo or two when I get to the computer that has them.
Haven't actually had it in the water yet, had a couple minor things to "fix" first. Perhaps next week I'll get the time.
Welcome aboard. Nice to have another Man-o-War ownder to chat with.

Are you by chance the new owner of the black and white one just sold on E-bay in the photo below? Not sure what location KIAH is. Is that the airport in Houston or something else?

Lee Hoeppner
IslandHopper

Post by IslandHopper »

No, that's not mine. I found mine here locally (yes, Houston... I'm always impressed by folks who get that on the first try!) for $100 including the Chrysler trailer! (Admittedly, I'm gonna have to break out the welder to "shore-up" a couple places on the trailer.)

Here's the "first" project that was inspired by this thread... (The bow cleats (one on top, pictured, and the bow eye, under the bow), were both loose and I couldn't reach the backing nuts from the cockpit holes!)

The gelcoat is pretty well spidered all over, but it's watertight and sea-worthy. Both of the dagger trunk supports are in poor shape... but nothing a couple days of playing with fiberglass can't remedy.
1975 Man-O-War
IslandHopper

Post by IslandHopper »

Oh... another thing...
Is there anyway to figure out just how old this boat is? (Year of manufacture?)
1975 Man-O-War
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

That's a steal for $100! I paid $750 for my boat and trailer.

I wish i had the white top/red bottom option because the red top surface on mine can get hot to the touch when in the sun for a while.

I don't have a bow cleat either, so yours must have been aftermarket.

The deck plates sure make it easy to maintain the boat in those hard to reach places. And now you have more storage options to boot!

What is her moniker?

Do you have the original swivel base and block for the mainsheet? How 'bout the self-bailer?
Lee Hoeppner