Main Sail Traveler

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
somers12

Main Sail Traveler

Post by somers12 »

I've owned many sailboats in my time, but none has ever had a main sail traveler. When I bought this C22, the control rigging was missing. I assume what I have is standard issue, and was hoping that someone out there has a picture of (or can describe) how this is supposed to be rigged. I've tried to include a 'flickr' pick of what I have... I hope it works.

Thanks... Steve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26593864@N07/
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I can not help you, but some one will. You have a good looking boat.[/img]
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Thanks... I really like her. Lots of work though, especially on the bottom with the lime or calcium buildup. Should have the mast up for the first time this weekend and check the fit of the newly washed sails. (Very exciting) I am beginning to wonder if the traveler setup is origional issue. If it isn't, I can only imagine what I'm going to improvise. Not noticed in the pics is the cam cleat setup on this side of the hole. I should have taken a picture at a better angle.

Steve
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

A check of page 10 the C22 manual over at
http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/sail ... anual.html shows a drawing of the traveler that looks just about like your pic.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Mine has the cam cleat on the lower block
(not mounted to the deck) like the illustration has it, I would guess it's been modified.
Last edited by Banshi on Wed May 21, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Yes, I've page ten printed out for months now. It shows how to attach the mainsheet blocks to the traveler. My minor delemna involves how to actually rig rope through the two wheels on the traveler, then through the eye opening, through the cam cleat and finally through the wire guide.

Steve
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

To bad you could not see it rigged, perhaps this was used for something else, does your main have the cam cleat on it? I find it extremely useful raising the mast if I need to stop part way up or to hold it until I get the forestay attached.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ah. I misunderstood, and thought you were wondering if it was original to the boat. If you could, post a pic of the entire cockpit area around the traveller so everyone can see the whole picture.
somers12

Post by somers12 »

I hope these pics work... Cat doesn't like posing.

Steve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26593864@N07/
somers12

Post by somers12 »

I knew I missed a question... yes, my mainsheet block does have a cam cleat. And I'll probably get to use it raising the mast. I made my own pin out of a 6 inch bolt. 5/8 diameter and 3 inches long, according to the chrysler specs, and I frabricated some chain bridles according to info on this site.

Steve
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

You may be missing some parts. I have my travler rigged with a Harken set up and on the end of the track on each side there is a block with acam cleat to adjust the traveler car position, like this:

http://www.harken.com/images/4-1control.jpg

The main sheet block clips on the traveler car in the eye on the center top and the sheet would pass throught the fair lead and is set in the cam cleat. It swivels so it can point toward the traveler car as it is moved along the track.

Jim
Last edited by Wag4513 on Mon May 19, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Jim, you may be right, but until I am sure, I believe I've come up with a temporary solution. I'll post a pic after I dry fit the sails later on today... then I'll post a pic. In the end, if I have to upgrade... I will

Steve
somers12

Post by somers12 »

This is just to put a close to this topic.

The mast went up like a dream using the boom and bridles. It was a very apprehensive first time... half expecting it to come crashing down. I did manage to put up the sails, but I didn't have time to take any pictures before the wind and rain started.

I saw anther traveler that looked just like mine at the marina. Of course it was unrigged, so I came up with a temporary solution that should work until I find out more. I just tied one end of some line to the unit using a bowline and fed the rest of the line through the system. (Its the second pic in)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26593864@N07
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

That should work fine just be careful when tacking for the back lashing it mite want to sling across to the other side and and hang up .lbut should not be a problem if you watch it.
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Thanks Steve... I'll be watching everything (but especially that and the roller system) the first time I have her out. I bought her last October and still have lots to do to get her ready. I can't sail here (Calgary) until the fifteenth of June because the water is still too cold.
matt

Post by matt »

Does anyone else have any interesting traveler configurations?

I think ours is as the factory built it. I has pins to stop the traveler car from moving beyond incremental positions.

I find this system to be difficult to use. I'd like to find a nice alternative. Has anyone upgraded theirs?
IslandHopper

Main Traveler

Post by IslandHopper »

Here's the best pic i could find of the main traveler on my Irwin 30.
It's 900 miles away, so I can't run out and get a better one.

The blue lines are controls for the car. They pull it to one side or the other then cleat off. They are "blocked" to provide a 3:1 purchase on the control lines, so it can be adjusted under load (there's even access to winches.)
You probably wouldn't need that much leverage on a 22-26' boat, but a control line setup like that really simplifies moving the traveller and you tend to "fiddle" with it a lot more to get the best sail trim. :)
1975 Man-O-War
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks, that's more along the line of what I had in mind. My thought is that there is probably a decent compromise of using the existing track but adding a couple blocks to either end and maybe replacing the car.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

great pic of the traveller and great to see the kids wearing the PFDs EVEN close into shore or at anchor! A smart sailor/adult/parent!