Anyone know what this is

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
somers12

Anyone know what this is

Post by somers12 »

I found these two units in the forward starboard compartment. The logo "Sapphire" is stenciled on the main roller. There's no name on the other. I'm hoping that someone will say, it's at least part of a roller reefing system. Both parts swivel about its top and bottom, and I can see no other application for them. I did a basic search on the net and found nothing that pertains to sailing.(I believe its the second and third pic from the top)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26593864@N07

Steve
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

yup this is indeed a roller reefing system, top and bottom parts. There's usually aluminium (or plastic) tubing that goes between them, but some earlier/smaller system dont not have the tubing, these seem to work OK on smaller boat, from pictures I think this is what you have
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Yep... I have a C22, and I found no tubing in the boat. Both my gonoa and jib have wire in the luff (as did all my other boats), so I don't know how tubing would fit. Do you think that both these parts fit on the ends of both sails. And if so... do you think I'd connect it to where my forestay cable (which also came with the boat) is now connected? Damn, it wasn't long ago that I posted a question about the availability of roller furlers for the C22... not knowing I may have one. Must have sat on a horseshoe.

Thanks... Steve
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

Yes its for a stay sail system the wire luff in the sail is the extrusion ,a real nice system for a smaller boat . I have the CDI flexible furler FF6 on my c26, I just installed . I was able to salvage it from my Easterly 31 that I lost in hurricane Katrina the one that you have is easier to rig . have fun, its alot better than hanking sails .
Steve
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Tnank guys... Can't wait to try it. Just have to make sure it's the same size as my foresail with a tightening rig on the bottom

Steve
FranS

Post by FranS »

Sommers,

Was at West Marine today and they ahd a pamphlet... "How to Install Roller Furling", I bet you could get it on line at their website.
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Thanks... will check it out...I sure could use some pointers.
HJakl

Post by HJakl »

I have roller in my basement for years, never did have chance to install it. I guess, I like to have different sails and swap them on the go. This is quite fun. How is boat reacting to different setting on the roller. On my if is trim the sails right I do not need to use ruder at all. boat goes after the wind itself.
Steve BTW is your boat on Ghost ? ( Guessing from the picture)
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Right now the boat is at home where I can work on it. But yes, from sometime in April on, it'll be at Ghost. I keep it in the upper yard with the rigging set and trailer her to the water. The reefing system works just fine, and very useful on Ghost. Before I go out again, I'll have the jiffy reefing on the main in place. You know how the winds can come up on Ghost.

Steve
HJakl

Post by HJakl »

My is still on Ghost, now I am busy with skiing, but in few weeks I have bring her to Calgary for major clean up and service.
I have still in box , on board GPS with fish finder, never had a chance to install. My Mast rigging system is still BFI , never had a chance to finish it. and list goes on...
Unfortunately, my wife hates this boat, so I am alone sailor, and its very difficult. And after many years to be as " Charter " company for my friends, I am sailing alone, but there is not that much fun.
But I did meet new friends on Kootaney
http://klsa.kics.bc.ca/
so I go quite often there. Exelent sailing
I will be interested to see how you doing Main reefing. It would be couple off times handy to have.

Good sailing
Henry
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Henry, I'll no doubt see you out there this summer. I'll post some pics of the jiffy reefing system when I have her installed. With the snow storm that blew in last night, it only delays my progress.

Steve

While I'm at this I'm going to try and post a test picture directly.

Ha... it worked!
HJakl

Post by HJakl »

Steve,

Have you been on ghost lately, is still frozen? I have to go there bring my boat to Calgary to fix a zilion things.
When you will take your boat there?

Henry

403 819 3447
Captain Cvock
Chrysler 26
somers12

Post by somers12 »

No Henry not yet. I guess I'll have to head out that way soon to pay this years fees. I'm trying to work on the boat, but it's slow progress because the snow is still lingering in the yard. Chestermere slew is still frozen, so I don't expect to see water at Ghost for another 2 or3 weeks.

Steve
somers12

Post by somers12 »

forgot to answer your question Henry... I'll probably take her out at the end of April or early May. The more I can get done here, the better. Ghost is a bit too far to work on the boat. Plus I have electricity and all my tools here.

Steve
HJakl

Post by HJakl »

Same here, I will bring her to Calgary next week. To my shop, I need to do some re work on the trailer, ( Home build ) and tons of work on boat.
Planing to take my boat to Kootenay Lake, I am member of KLSA ( sailing club ) and also that is great lake for sailing
but my trailer is still prototype never finished.
I am trying to call Mike ( Ghost ) to confirm if he will be open this weekend to pay my storage fee as well
Captain Cvock
Chrysler 26