C26 Kickup Rudder Lines

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

C26 Kickup Rudder Lines

Post by EmergencyExit »

Does anyone know of the location of a diagram showing the layout of the pull up/pull down lines on the rudder blade of a C26 ?

We just purchased a 1979 C26 as a fixup and the lines seem "stuck". Can push the rudder down by pole fine, but it seems to pop back up. Have to motor her a ways next week or so for a bottom job, guess I'll find out then, but just moving it a few hundred feet to its new slip was a pain with the rudder kicking back up and hitting the OB every so often. (BTW depth was 10+ so it was not hitting bottom...)

She's at:

www.canufly.net/~boydleake

if you'd like to follow along...
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'm not sure if the 26 is like my 22, but with mine, the lines got bound, I had to take the cheeks off and rerun the lines. Wasn't too hard to do. I noted that it's easy to get the ropes in a bind if you move the rudder up and down manually rather than using the lines, so when you do want to move it up or down, always use the lines. Hope this helps.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
searcher44

C26 Rudder sticking

Post by searcher44 »

Recently purchased a C26 and found the same problem. When I pulled the boat I found that a previous owner tried to solve the problem by bending the metal frame holding the rudder. I took the frame to a welder who straightened it and added bracing, two per side running for and aft. I also had to replace the center "puck" in the rudder. I added some pvc pipe over the bolt the line passes over.

I now have a rudder that swings easier but still needs some help if fully down. In talking to other owners, this appears to be a ongoing problem and design fault with the vessel.

Mike
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C26 Rudder sticking

Post by EmergencyExit »

Thanks for the reply...I did find a copy of the 79 C26 Manual that had a diagram of the setup...looks like it is really easy for the pull up line to bind the way it is run..EE is due for a haulout and bottom cleaning soon so I can re-do them then. I'm in a deep slip, so I just pushed it down with the pole, and cleated the pull line.

New pics are at
www.canufly.net/~boydleake

[quote="searcher44"]Recently purchased a C26 and found the same problem. When I pulled the boat I found that a previous owner tried to solve the problem by bending the metal frame holding the rudder. I took the frame to a welder who straightened it and added bracing, two per side running for and aft. I also had to replace the center "puck" in the rudder. I added some pvc pipe over the bolt the line passes over.

I now have a rudder that swings easier but still needs some help if fully down. In talking to other owners, this appears to be a ongoing problem and design fault with the vessel.

Mike[/quote]