Another rudder question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
FranS

Another rudder question

Post by FranS »

Does anyone have any experience with moving the rudder position on the C-22 so it hangs from the stern?
Chrysler20%26

Move the rudder to the starn???

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Why would any one do that, may be fix a leak, may be to make the boat easyer to back up. I have the C-20, C-26 an a Mac 25 that has the rudder on the stern an it is hard the back up. So if anyone is thinking of moving the rudder, why not try this. Add a ruder to the outboard, it would only have to move up an down. The outboard kick up when you hit some thing, add a smal stering whel to the stern, or wall or caban. Only added drage having prop in the water, but by moving the ruder, you would have less drage, have a boat easey to back up, have a ruder easey to get at. an stop a sorse of a leak. I have a 15HP with a 36" saft, so I would only have to add about 30" or ruder.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

wag4513 has a stern mounted rudder as does squint judging from this topic

viewtopic.php?t=193
FranS

Post by FranS »

Thanks for the replies. We would like to get more room in the cockpit. The tiller position makes it very difficult to move around, even when its just the two of us. My shins are always all banged up!
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

Here is a photo of my tiller set up:

I don't know why the picture isn't showong up. Copy the link and you can see the photo.

Jim
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
FranS

Post by FranS »

Thanks Wag,

Did you do the modification?
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

The prior owner made the change. He was an artist and a welder. Attaching the rudder to the stern is not hard with Rudder Gudgeons. I had the transom reinforced.

The rudder head is a challenge. Mine is made of 3/8 stainless steel. Here is a picture:

http://www.pbase.com/sailortex/image/102162140

It shows the rudder head along with the rudder attached to the boat.
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
FranS

Post by FranS »

I see what you mean about reinforcing the transom, with the rudder hanging off the stern and the traveler attached directly to the transom its probably more force than it was designed to withstand.

Sounds like maybe its more trouble than its worth. I'll just have to be more careful about my shins!