Hatch Covers OEM

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mariner

Hatch Covers OEM

Post by mariner »

Just a thought, has anyone ever tried to re manufacture the hatch covers with the translucent fiberglass in anything other than what is OEM? The originals work well but IMHO look a bit odd from below, "dirty" if you will. If you have replaced them or re done them can you share your story and pics? thanks
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

When I painted my decks I painted them white top and bottom. I used interdeck on top and brightside underneath. They look a lot better even though they don't let nearly as much light through.
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

The prior owner replaced the OEM hatch covers with ones made from 3/8 aluminum frame and lexan. They let in plenty of light.

Jim
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I know what you mean...you can see the fibers and uneveness in the fiberglass...but they do a good job of letting light, shade and privacy all at teh same time!....although when I am walking topside, I worry that I will fall right through as I don't trust theri thickness / strenght

I never really saw a aftermarket product that I thought would look right and even fit the curve right...
Windward

I just reinforced mine

Post by Windward »

Instead of replacing, I just reinforced mine. Did the companionway last time around, with forward hatch sometime in the next couple of months.

Sanded well. Used good glass seam tape and epoxy to reinforce the track area, then reinforced the interior perimeter same way. Used polyester resin to recoat the translucent topside panels. Painted the white with Petit Easypoxy. Finished off with teak facing fore and aft, which helps seal the forward end from greenwater, looks good 8) and adds more maintenance :(

I've considered adding a solar vent in each, but with the ribs it would probably be more trouble than it's worth to get a decent job that looked good.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

"I've considered adding a solar vent in each"

Like this :wink:

Windward

Yes!

Post by Windward »

almost exactly.

Nice job on that mounting. Did you cast it from 'glass and resin, use wood to make the flange, use plastic or StarBoard, or ???

I seem to catch sheets on everything and have no patience to clear them, esp if racing, so was going to mount it between the ribs to avoid any edges sticking up. I'd give up some passive vent benefit, but figured the minimal obstructions and possibly reduced tendency to take in water would compensate.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I used some 5/4 oak, made a round doughnut, knotched it to fit the ribs with a router, then set it in a bed of interlux watertight and painted it with the deck.