Stepping the mast Single handedly C22 Chrysler 22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stepping the mast Single handedly C22 Chrysler 22

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, OK, I was going to do it anyway but at the requests here I figure it is the least I can do to give back from the forum where I've already learned so much.

Here is the link
http://captainscottsailing.com/SteppingTheMast.html

I wrote this last night with photos that I already had. If you click the smaller photo it will blow up to better than 5MB phot in high resolution!
If you are on dialup, I recommend NOT clicking for the larger photos.

If anyone has questions please ask and I welcome comments.

Thanks!
Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

Thanks Captian Scott. The lawyer in me approves of all your disclaimers! Do this at your own risk. As I suspected the hinged mast base is more conducive to single handed mast raising. I would be interested in your experiences and insight with your unnamed boat. I'm a " better safe than sorry" gal so we will continue to enlist the aid of a friend when raising the mast. We need only two for lowering, which will happen in the next few weeks as the sailing season is slipping away here.

Thanks for taking the time to put together the detailed explaination, and welcome to the forum, you are an invaluable member already!
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I look forward to the day when I decide to do away with the factory mast step and go to a hinged type like you have, two pivot points would help a lot especially while it is setting there and your hooking everything up (As it is now it can jump out of the slot while you are putting everything together). The problem is the balance point is a good two or three feet past the transom. I am adding a cockpit rail today with a roller that I hope will make moving the mast into position and prepping it for standing a lot less troublesome.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Great page. That should be a permant link to the site. It would be very helpful for the first timers. It is scary the first few times you do it!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks for the compliments and the forum is quite welcome. It's the least I can do since I've already learned so much. I've been lurking quite a while!

FranS wrote: I would be interested in your experiences and insight with your unnamed boat.
!
Yes, I too look forward to stepping the mast on the 76! I have already seen some concerns given the mast does not appear to be pinned down at all! That day will be very interesting to say the least!

Please let me know if there is anything missing or photos that could be added.

The forum is also more than welcome to link to the page should you so decide. Please be aware if it has not already been seen that page is part of a larger web site where I sell my services. I, in no way wish to bend, twist, or otherwise break any rules here. That is most certainly not my intent.

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

incredibly well documented..KUDOS! this is really the step by step detail that I find I need to have teh confidence to do this and free my self of my expensive boat yard's crane..
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cockpit rail

Post by Banshi »

Ok, finally wrapped it up and tested using it for positioning the mast and it worked. Here is a link to pictures.
http://www.byershome.net/_Boat/Chrysler ... piRail.htm
FranS

Post by FranS »

The bungee is brilliant, what a great low tech solution!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey Banshi,
looks like I'll be incorperating your bungee idea to the 76!

Excellent idea!

Scott
renfam

Mast Stepping

Post by renfam »

Hi,
Thanks for this info and I have shared it with others recently. One thing I do not have is the mast support shown in your pictures. I assume this is something you made? How is it fatened to the stern? Thanks.
Allan
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Allan,
I have sent you some photos of the mast support. It is dark out so they are a bit poor but I think you'll see how it is mounted clearly.

The photos are VERY large for you to see detail.
Let me know if you need anything else!

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

If you are real enthusiastic check the link I posted to my stern rail support, a two for one deal ;)