New boat, new sailor, abundant ignorance

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
amadeus

New boat, new sailor, abundant ignorance

Post by amadeus »

Hello, all. I have fallen prey to the Chrysler 22, a '77, which has been in the water and untended for at least 4 years before I got it. I just have a couple basic questions to get me started:

1. I know the bottom needs attention. I had a diver scrape it last summer, who said it looked "good", but should be painted. It's currently moored in salt water in Oakland, CA. I can have it hauled out nearby, which I plan to do this spring, and will probably do the work myself. How likely is it that I will need to repair things like blisters, etc.,( i.e., is that a common thing, or rare)? More importantly, recommendations for a good bottom paint?

2. (Here's how new I am-) What's the best way to clean the fiberglass, inside & out? It's just very dirty, no damage to fix first. Can I get by with something like Soft-scrub (or something similar and more environmentally acceptable) to start with, to get her a little more presentable,or do I need to do the whole boatwash/cleaner/buff/pastewax thing to begin with? I'll be doing the initial cleaning in the water. I'm assuming cleaning inside is not as critical, environmentally, but don't want to use the wrong thing and damage the nice glossy finish.

Thanks, everyone.
Michael Brandon
Rich

Post by Rich »

I had the same experience when I bought my C22. When I hauled her out there was a whole lot of junk on the bottom, probably over 100 pounds worth of mussles alone. The inside was equally filthy, with rust stains, mildew, and general crud. I had to redo all of the cushions as well as the fabric was all rotten. I used a lot of bleach, and on the outside I used some boat cleaner that does a good job of taking out some of the oxidation.

I also used CLR, did a great job of getting rid of rust stains. Orange Cleaner also worked nicely for oily crud. If you are going to be keeping her in the water, don't try and save money on bottom paint. I did, and I regret it, and am going to have to repaint AGAIN and it's been just over two years. This time I'm going to use some really good stuff, it costs around $170 per gallon, but a gallon is enough to do the trick, and hopefully it will do a better job of preventing growth.

Have fun cleaning her up. And you will have a great time sailing her. They are a very solid feeling boat under sail, even in a good stiff wind. I've never felt like I was going to go over, and the few times it does get seriously heeled over by a big gust you'll find that the rudder loses grab and it rounds up before it can go over too far. I've had water over the leward rail a couple times....wooo hooo!
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
amadeus

new boat, new sailor, abundant ignorance

Post by amadeus »

Thanks, Rich. Sounds like you had your hands full. I was actually pretty fortunate - the boat is really pretty clean, as far as rust and deterioration. I'll need to sand down the rails for the main hatch, and make a new tiller (the old one has delaminated), but other than that, it's just dirt from not having been washed for several years. I got some Simple Green tonight just to get started with. Is there a cleaner of choice, or should I go with the regular "marine" products, like a boatwash?
I did get the bottom cleaned last summer, and you're right, those little buggers are heavy. I think she rose out of the water by four inches by the time the diver was done. And I agree with you about using quality bottom paint. (BTW - West Marine is having a sale on it, 2 for 1 as of my call today.)
The only thing you didn't say anything about was about blisters in the fiberglass - is that a big deal? Hard to find, hard to fix? How bad do they have to be to warrant repair? I'm kinda having nightmares about it...
Thanks so much for the help. This site is just great.
Michael
Rich

Post by Rich »

So far as blisters go, ask 10 sailors, you'll probably get 9 different answers (the two in agreement would be two guys who shrug and say "I dunno")

I'm one of those two guys. :D

But seriously, I've read so many conflicting views on how to deal with blisters, what is considered serious and MUST be taken care of and what is no big deal, I'm just way too confused on the whole thing.

So far as boat soap goes, that's what I use when giving my bath a regular bath in the water. But simple green is good too, after all it's biodegradeable and non-toxic. I love simple green.

I'm going to have to check into the sale at West Marine. By the way, don't use their house brand, that's what I used it was lame (it was West Marine Bottom Pro). Next I'm going to use Pettit's Trinidad. Along with a high copper content it also has two different biocides. It ain't cheap, at $169 a gallon, but it should get the job done.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
markbeadle

Post by markbeadle »

http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietrich/ ... sters.html

Here are about 5-10 sites with instructions and plenty of pictures. After you read through them you will have a pretty good idea on how to fix your specific blister/fiberglass problems.

One thing to keep in mind is that Chrysler's hulls are thick. Chrysler boats have been described as "back when fiberglass was cheap." I say this in that you may be able to let some blisters go for a season planning on repairing before the next. One thing you do not want to let go is the fiberglass at the base of the mask and stays plates, if these are soft or weak, trust me, the mask is heavy.