New member says hi and asks a question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
monty

New member says hi and asks a question

Post by monty »

Hi, I just put a deposit on a '78 C26. Not much info available from the seller as he's never sailed it and I won't see it until I pick it up - a new adventure begins! No idea what sails it has, although pics show a furler, he says it has an engine - I can see an aftermarket outboard bracket on the transom and a saildrive underneath - dare I hope for a running diesel??? I've sailed Hobies and lastly a Mac 26S(water ballast) for almost 30 years and needed a sturdier roomier cruiser. We'll see if the C26 fits the bill. No doubt I'll have lots of questions soon so I'll start with this one : Do you think my '91 Grand Marquis 5 litre with Class III and equalizer will make it 1200 miles pulling this beast? What are your experiences?
Thanks
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I would not try it. I haul my 1980 C26 with a V-8 Dakota 4X4 with tow package and I went 30 miles with a 2001 Sea Lion trailer the the Dakota will tow 7000 lb. but in road conditions 5400lb. can be at the limit going uphill. When I get another vehicle it will be a full size 4X4 P/U.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Chrysler20%26

Need Truck

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome aboard, you will need a truck
Last edited by Chrysler20%26 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard !

We have a couple of Macs at Pelican, and from parking EE next to them I can tell you the C26 sure sits a lot higher and wider on a trailer than they do.

Also considering that you may or may not know what shape the trailer/brakes are in until you actually on on the way home, I'd recommend taking as much tow vehicle with you as possible.

Keep us posted, looking forward to hearing about the new adventure !
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome!
Glad to have you hare and look forward to some photos!

Scott
Windward

Post by Windward »

Welcome to the Chrysler Cult... um, Crew! The Kool-aid's delicious.

It could be that a PO was a "belt, suspenders and elastic waistband" type who carried the dinghy engine where it could be used if the main engine died, but more likely someone just left the saildrive installed after the diesel died or became unreliable rather than patching the hole. Don't hope for a running diesel, just be wildly surprised and pleased if you happen to have one.

Short version is that I agree with the "get a truck" advice you've received so far.

I tow Windward on a borrowed trailer with a 2006 F150 4x4. 5.4 L, 3.73 gears, 4 wheel discs, allegedly a high-torque transmission, with an oversized transmission cooler and a class IV hitch. It's adequate between East TN and the Outer Banks (although coming back up into Boone is a 38 MPH experience), but I'd be happier with something beefier. I really never trailered anything before this, so perhaps I just don't have enough experience to be scared.

If the trailer's brakes are good, the trailer tracks well, the tongue weight is reasonable (none of which you're likely to know until you get there), your 1200 miles is on the flat and there's no great emotional attachment to the Grand Marquis, you might get a Class 4 hitch (believe Class 3 tops out at 5000#, and the boat weighs at least that empty), decent shocks, a massive transmission cooler, perhaps booster springs, and give it a shot: it might work out. Even if you can pull it, though, the Merc probably won't give you the kind of control you ought to have. You don't want to lose the boat, kill someone or end up dead after a fishtail/rollover, though, so I'd err on the side of caution.

Don't know your financial situation, but I'll bet you could get a pretty low price on a large truck, new or used, right about now :shock:
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I borrowed a truck for pulling mine. I had a Sport Trac at the time that was just borderline tow rating wise. I ended up borrowing a F250 super duty that was good for 10k lbs.

When I arrived at the pickup point the trailer had one taillight that was 50 percent broken out. Trailer looked like it was rusted into two peices. 20 miles into my trip I got pulled over by the state patrol and they took me to a weight station and made me weigh the truck and boat, then went ove all my papers to make sure I was legal. I spend close to an hour of him going over my bill of sale, truck insurance, registration ect while on the phone talking to a superior. Not sure what they were looking for but i guess i had everything I needed to be legal and he let me continue on. He did inform me though that I did need to stop at every weight station on my trip home. That was a bit odd considering that I was not commercial.

I was greated by my home state with a nice blizzard and 12" of snow. fun pulling the boat through a snow storm.

best of luck and take more tools then you think you need.

You will love the boat, We all love out boats here.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

welcome aboard, you will find lots of help here 8) KS
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Welcome, if you decide eventually you need a truck then buy a diesel, preferably a Cummins ;) something like this...........

not only will you have the power to pull that boat up a 7% grade at speed but you'll have the brakes and weight to keep it under control on the way down.
HJakl

Post by HJakl »

Welcome,
I got my boat at Port Huron and dragged it to Calgary Alberta Canada with old Chev van 6.2 diesel.
What a trip. Went even thru snow storm.
Now I have GM suburban 6.5 TD, no really problems. Some in mountains when is very hot.
But good balance and tracking is important and go with out or bad breaks is dead wish.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
monty

done deal!!

Post by monty »

it's official ! she's bought, paid for, picked up and sitting in the driveway! now for the hard part . . . The '91 Grand Marquis dragged her 1300 brakeless(trailer), tail wagging(120 lb. tongue weight) miles from Indiana to her new home port !! I haven't even hardly looked inside but can see 3 sails, big flex foil furler, volvo md 5a with saildrive (cond. unknown), alcohol stove and porta potti. Real, real dirty with some damage around a transom mounted cleat, but seems solid. Front hatch opened up and flopped around for several hundred miles breaking the hinges but luckily stayed in place thanks to a couple of springs (I don't know their purpose, but they saved me from fabricating a plywood hatch!!) and I thought the truck drivers were being friendly when they were flashing their brake lights! Going to put some heat in her today and have a look around with lots of questions to come! I'll post a pic soon, too!!! Do they all come with adj. backstay? later, monty
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome home Monte! LOL! Well, to the new boat anyway!
Glad ya made it home safely and with only minimal damage. Some photos would be great for all of us nosey types! Take some before and as you progress with the cleanup! You wont regret it!

The 22's have adjustable backstays. I don't know about the 26's but I bet you'll get the answer shortley!

Congrats!

Scott
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Wow you pulled her home with your '91 Grand Marquis?

your crazy. Welcome to the board.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE has no adjustable backstay (unless you count the turnbuckle and a friend's loos gauge as adjustable) :wink:

EE also lost those same hatch hinges in a wind once....August of 2005 I believe it was.
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

Welcome aboard,1300 miles,no trailer brakes,behind a mercury grand marque?? and my wife thinks im crazy!!!
monty

Post by monty »

sometimes it helps being a little crazy-I don't have to worry about the consequences of my actions, at least not before something goes wrong! Just pulled out the sails and she has a number! It's #490! Original Vector main is serviceable with no previous repairs (current small luff tear) and Vector hank-on jib is in real nice shape! There's a like-new Fairclough 150 for the Furlex furler - I'm set!!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sail # 490, is just 9 numbers higher than Windward I think ?

Monty I don't think you're crazy at all.

Of course my own self-standard of sane is questioned often, :wink:
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I got pulled over two times pulling my c-26 back and I had a truck hd2500 pulling it. I think I would have been in jail if I had a smaller car.

Maybe I am just unlucky or I look guilty? Hmm

Crazy is not all bad.

The guy with the small jeep trying to back his Triton in the water at the boat ramp was list as crazy. He turned into stupid when he locked his tires and the boat weight drug him and his jeep into headlight deep water. :) Who needs movies when you have boat ramps.

We are all in need a pics. I would love to see a pic of the boat connected to your car. :)
FranS

Post by FranS »

Watching folks launch and retrive is one of my favorite summertime activities, But then we have put on a show or two ourselves. :-)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Actually, I have never put up a show while launching or retrieving from the ramp. Now if we are talking about docking in a crowed marina... mmm yeah, better forget that one!
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My Getaway does have an adjustment at the Triangle for the split lower backstay but is not adjustable while underway only adjustable for stetting rake when putting mast up. I only put on one show the first time I launched her. Rollers on stern of trailer are not wide enough for keel to go between so by the time I took her out I had a tounge extension so that I did not have to get the front tires to the edge of the water. :oops:
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
mga1951

Talking about a "show"

Post by mga1951 »

Last June, we were pulling out the C-22 around dusk.
I have to go in about up to my knees at this ramp. I have used this ramp many times. Of course I slipped on the moss.
Tried to catch myself and ripped out my shoulder from the socket. Thought I broke my arm. (Wish I would have, it would have been easier to fix)
Had a dislocated shoulder and summer ended right then.

This year we are planning on leasing a dock!!
No more "show" from us. :) (knock on wood)
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22