Cockpit cover question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Birch

Cockpit cover question

Post by Birch »

My C22 came with a really nice cockpit cover made by Campbell Manufacturing out of Dallas TX. I'm not sure if it is the original cover that came with the boat or an after-market addition. Unfortunatly the frame has been lost. Does anyone have one of these covers? If so, could you send an image or diagram of the frame so that I may have one made?

Thanks in advance, and thanks loads for this new board!!

Wag4513

Cockpit Cover?

Post by Wag4513 »

Do you mean a cover for the cockpit when it is not in use or a Bimini?
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
selah

Post by selah »

Nice boat!

If it's a bimini cover you are refering to, perhaps you could measure where the frame goes in, and from there compare to dimensions of pre-fab bimini frames and find one that would fit?
Birch

I can't tell how this cover is intended to be used.

Post by Birch »

I'll take a pic & post maybe ya'll can help.

Thanks
Birch
Birch

Image of cover

Post by Birch »

Do you have or have you seen a cover like this? Any thoughts on a frame?
Note the folding chair for size reference.

Thanks in advance for your comments/help.

-Birch
selah

Post by selah »

Looks nice. I'm thinking you could probably use a standard bimini frame for the top, and the side parts, are they the right size to go along the lifelines as side curtains?
Michael O'Brien

Cockpit cover question

Post by Michael O'Brien »

I've now had chance to see Hugh Campell of Campbell Manufacturing Co. and show him the pictures of Birch's cover. They orginally manufactured it for Chrysler, who used it as a dealer item for retail sale. It was made with a sail cloth popular at the time, but they would now use Sunbrella, or whatever material is specified. When I first talked with him, he thought that they might still have the patterns, but now believes that they were discarded.

There was not a bow or hoop for the top, but rather lines were run thru the two black loops over the boom, tent style.
The estimate for a one-off seemed high, but he says it could be reduced considerably on a production run, depending on the volume. Anyone interested?

Birch, if you could make a pattern for me out of wrapping or butcher paper, I'd appreciate it. E-mail me for an address and cost re-imbursal.
I had not thought of such a cover before, but it looks like a good way to keep the weather out of the cockpit and off the hatch boards and tiller, etc.

They also did the Chrysler biminis, and the quote for a custom job was reasonable, which could also be reduced in volume. He suggests quick-detachable bow mounts, which have been designed especially for sail boats to take care of the problem stowing to the aft without undoing the main sheet. Again, anyone interested?

They make another item that may be of interest to sailors and that is a flexible insulated frozen food salesman's sample case. It would be handy for a short trip and stow easily. Pleasant sailing! Michael O
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'd sure like to see how all those covers go together, and how it looks when they are all set up proper....be sure and give us an update.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks