What does your boat name mean?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

What does your boat name mean?

Post by CaptainScott »

OK, I'll start . . . . . . .

Destiny:
I've been sailing all my life. My dream was to have a boat big enough with a head. When my bride and I were dating, I had an RC sailboat. Painted her up and named her Destiny for all the odd circumstances that had to occur to bring my bride and I together. The bow numbers on the RC were my brides old phone number! I did not want to ever forget it! LOL! Destiny when own today is actually Destiny 2. I've never wanted to have a "2" or a "II" on the name. To avoid disrespecting our first Destiny a 32' Endeavour we imbedded a "2" in the letter "D" in her name! My daughter was 11 at the time and gets credit for embedding the two! Looking closely it is quite visible! Otherwise you would not notice it!

Lady Jo:
My mom. Jo Ann. :)

Lady Di:
My bride now of 17 plus years :D

OK, What is your boat name and why? There has to be some cool stories out there!! I want to read them!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

2nd marriage each, 7 kids total, 2 high pressure jobs, one person working on a Phd after work and weekends, the other person with a once-every-3-years major accreditation audit for a large corporation coming up.

So when the fires get too hot what does one do ? Find the "Emergency Exit" and get out !

Other details at
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 280813&ck=
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

My C-26 is SV Hope.

I renamed mine when I refitted her last winter. It is a two part name, Since I did all the refitting in a store all in the dead of winter with crappy lights I "Hope" she looked good when she was in the light.

The real meaning behind "Hope" was for my daughter that has Type 1 diabetes. We never give up "Hope" for a cure.

On a boat there always seems to be some kind of Hope going on.
FranS

Post by FranS »

The Buona Fortuna, ... "good luck." My Aunt gave hubby and I a peice of kitchen tchotkes which was a plaque with the the phrase on it. He liked it and said why don't we name the new boat that. It worked out well since we only ALMOST sank her two weeks after the first launch.

The prior name was "Bee Jay".. I kid you not. That had to go, although I've never been able to buff the ghosts of those letters off the stern :-)
hotdot

Post by hotdot »

I have the HotDot... Far to many years ago my wife, Dottie, passed on leaving me with 2 young children to raise. In an effort to grow beyond our loss, I decided to buy a C-26 and teach the kids to sail and enjoy life. HotDot was her nickname.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

Mine's easiest. My wife's name is Shelley. OK, I'm not too creative. (but used to be called Nirvana II, as you can see in photo)
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey, I like these!
Lets keep them rolling!

I see there are more than 6 reads on the post so some of you have yet to tell your name and story!

I'f your lurking and reading, sign up! Give us the story! I tried! It doesn't even hurt! LOL!

Given the number of reads on the post it must be interesting to more than just me!

So . . . . LETS HAVE IT!

Scott
Windward

Post by Windward »

Windward came to me with that name. I considered renaming her, but as we all know a C-26 going to windward in a decent breeze is a sweet thing, and the name simply suits her. Windward she remains, although I rechristened her after her initial major refit (used Bass Ale and good coffee -- she's a working girl). To my surprise, turns out the name is not particularly common.

I grew up boating on Lake St. Clair, St. Clair River and lower Lake Huron. Detoured to Tennessee in early 80s and traded that water for whitewater, working as a raft guide and canoe/kayak instructor for several years.

My (tolerant, understanding and supportive) wife knew I missed boating, and while I was musing about trying to resurrect a boat I built with my step-dad back in Michigan in the 70s, she said she had $500 stashed and I should take it and buy a boat. Next day at work I was chatting with a coworker and noticed a sailboat poster in his cubicle. Mentioned the boat remnants back in Michigan, and he told me he had a sailboat he'd sell me instead, telling me a bit about the Chrysler. I told him no way could I afford it, but he named a price anyway.... $500. Was that meant to be, or what? I knew virtually nothing about Chrysler sailboats, but bought her sight unseen.

Turns out I should probably have spent about 10 times more and saved some money. The initial meeting was a little sobering -- terminallly chalky gel-coat that looked Mary Kay pink, leaky swing keel trunk, trashed motor mount, messed up rigging, wasted interior, plus settee compartments full of ruptured soda cans and sodden Stovetop stuffing -- but I've never once regretted the purchase or all the time, energy and money I've invested in her. Going out on a limb here, it's a little like being married: I know there are other boats out there, but I cannot imagine not being with this one.

Everyone who sails with me (or drops by on the hook for a cordial nosh) -- even those with larger or fancier boats -- seems to genuinely appreciate and enjoy her.

Windward is probably not the prettiest girl at the ball, but she kicks off her shoes, boogies without restraint and gets the most dances by far.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

CinJam...............Cindy/James :)
Carl_IN_TX

Trekker

Post by Carl_IN_TX »

Not much of a story here. I have had my 78 C22 for only one week, But I grew up loving Star Trek - the original series. Trekker came from that.

Carl
78 C22 Trekker
78 C22 "Trekker"
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

Carl, I actually considered the Star Trek thing, but my wife already considers me a nerd with all my Trekkie jargon. I'm glad someone was able to get away with it, and is proud enough to advertise it!! :D
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Well I knew this was going to be a good site/forum when I found it, we had just lost our "Island Fever" the year before and lots of revenue due to Hurricane Wilma, we bought "Rag Time".....it just fit, and we knew good times were ahead. more on the name later

This site has had me laughing, finding out more of whats north of me and today.....a good cry from my first mate and myself when we read the storys from our fellow sailors, we knew yall had heart, but wow. I guess thats what I love about the ocean and sailing the peace and solitude, a
"Cool Change" as the Little River Band sang that helps you unwind.

We have been very busy with this warm weather and not checking up on the site, we wish for the New Year good health and happiness and a cure, with tears in our eyes we will give yall our humble story.

The meaning behind the name: RAG TIME

She of course was built in Texas but she was berthed there as well on the Gulf ( never in Fresh Water ) for many years before a new owner took her to the Bahamas for many years as well, she was sailed SE to the Middle Keys and used as a liveaboard, when we found her on the hook in Boot Key Harbor the name "Rag Time " was emblazened on both sides
and the growth on the bottom was adding alot of weight, very dirty and in need of more than a rag. The name was a keeper as we changed the name of our 85 30' Hunter and we lost her in Wilma. My first mate likes
a clean boat and always has a rag handy. We love to "raise the rags" and hate to use the motor and that " time " is very special to us...plus she owns a well known property management company on the islands and they use ALOT of rags, I mean alot of rags.....so it just fit, when we saw the sleek design of the 78 C-26 we were hooked ( hate a boxy boat ) so thats how "Rag Time" was reincarnated, not special like her cousins names but she lives a happy life now. 8) KS

Todays Weather...BBURRRR who cut the Air on outside?
Winds N/NE at 15 to 29 Cloudy Low 63 High 68
Seas inside the reef 2-3 feet outside the reef 5-7 feet Higher in the Gulf Stream
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Keyskipper we are at -10 today. Wave height is fixed at zero as well, everything is frozen.
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Ouch, see what I have learned, it's really cold up in America this time of year, maybe that's why we are so busy, leaving for the Marquesas on Monday if we don't have you sending another cold front, will try to get some good pics. 8) KS PS Back to 70's manana
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Fair winds on your trip.
thepartydog

"Ya Never Know"

Post by thepartydog »

Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Mine was easy stress at work 9 children and second marraige and her with the change for 16 years and still going it is "My Getaway" and I had the Newport Holiday which was fun and I trailered to sail the finger lakes
and last March went to see my oldest son and towed her to OK. It was a great trip sailed 3 lakes there and came home. She was only a day sailor and wanted to get something bigger one of my employees said his step brother had 2 sailboats in his yard so I went to look and it was a c26 and a c22. I made an offer of $700.00 without the outboard and he said ok.
it had not been inthe water or out of the woods in 7 years and yes it was in the woods I had to cut trees down to get her out. Most of the work she needed was cleaning and alot of TLC.still in progress but she has come a long way. and she got a new mooring bouy for christmas. I still have the Newport until I sell her but she has got to have a good caring home. right
now the 2 girls are parked side by side with covers on.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Last edited by lecker68 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Love the stories you all tell...

My C-22 was finally named after the 2 yrs it took to finish it's cleaning, which was probably good cuz it took 2 yrs to decide... the part of WA state we live in was geologically manicured by repeated megafloods after glacial dam bursts at the end of the last ice age. From Montana to Oregon the floods cut and chewed the landscape on a scale that is hard to comprehend, flood water channels visible from space, the largest in the history of the planet, and they repeated possibly hundreds of times.

Our boat slip sits right at the location where the ice dam collapsed and the outburst of the floodwaters spewed forth. So while reading about the floods one day I came across the name of the boat, which by definition is "an Icelandic term meaning an outburst flood of glacially dammed waters." I liked it right from the get go,, but had I known I was always gonna have trouble spelling it, probably would have gone with something different!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Lyle, sounds like "My Getaway" and "Emergency Exit" are kindred names there !
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Yes EE they are!!!
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Gus

Post by Gus »

Mine came with a name... someone removed the stickers, but I could still read it "Halve Maen" or Half Moon in dutch. Since its bad luck, and I suck at naming things, I left it like it was.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Sea'chele is named for my wife Michele and, oddly enough, the sea (despite that I only sail inland freshwater lakes).

The really odd thing is that I found out later that the previous owner, who had not sailed her, was going to name her "Seashell" after his girlfriend Michelle, whom he calls Shelly.

Talk about coincidences!

Previously it had no name that we know of.

Lee
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Hi,
Thought I would chime in since all I can do is watch snow falling!!

I have been a musician (drummer) most of my life, so I wanted something from a song, a group, etc.
I was originally thinking "Midnight Rider" (big Allman Bros. fan). Going thru old LP's one night I was recording Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow album.
I am currently recording my whole collection on to CD's.
There it was. You need a blow to make your sailboat go!!
Was going to do "Blo by Blo" but a friend on the coast thougt it sounded like a drug boat so we decided against that! lol
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
NoRush

Post by NoRush »

Astraeus, from Greek mythology for the father of the four winds.

Jason
S/V Astraeus
1980 C26
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

Scott:

Temptation is a terrible thing to try and resist. :lol:

Jim
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
CByrne

Boat names, etc.

Post by CByrne »

Hello, all....

Here I am, new to this board, and to Chryslers in general. I bought and resurrected a 1978 C-22 last summer, and gave her perhaps her first name. Since she is wind-powered, and she just called out to me, she is now "Blow Me...a Kiss", home ported at Keyesport, IL, on Carlyle Lake.

Anyway, at least one more C-22 still lives... photo when I can.

Chris Byrne
Chris Byrne
s/v Blow Me ... a Kiss