bilge access plate?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
monty

bilge access plate?

Post by monty »

In looking around my new (to me !) C26 I see a stainless steel plate (~5"x8") with a short piece of 3/8" metal pipe sticking out of it. This plate is located directly below the bottom companionway step on the centerline of the boat and in front of a bulkhead (?). Any idea what I might find under there? Why the pipe (which was sealed with silicone)? I would like to place a bilge pump somewhere and wonder if this is a good spot. There is a manual lazerette mounted pump set up to draw water from behind the same bulkhead(?) directly below the front of the diesel. And speaking of diesel there doesn't seem to be much mention of OEM diesels on this forum, any diesel(ed) C26s out there? Thanks, monty p.s. I better get with some pics soon, eh??
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Oh, I have a pretty good idea what's under there !

Here's the link

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 280782&ck=

and another

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 281315&ck=
monty

Post by monty »

So no room for a submersable pump? Did yours have a small pipe sticking out? Looks like there could be quite a bit of water there and no way to get it out - unless that's what the 3/8" pipe was for? I worry about ice damage if there's water there. That area aft of the winch that you opened up was all fibreglass? Could a person fill that area with firm setting non-absorbent compound?? What do you think?
thanks
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Mine has a small bilge pump in that area. Actually that area runs under the small bulkhead, and my bilge pump was inserted back there. I wouldn't fill it up, you need somewhere for a bit of water to collect.

The sole is comprised of fiberglass covered ply. No pipe on mine. You may can get a light in there from behind the bulkhead and see what the pipe is for. If you go exploring, and open it up, be careful as that is your boat's hull right under there, and it's not that thick !
monty

Post by monty »

I'd have to use a mirror to look as the diesel is sitting just behind the bulkhead, wouldn't a tiny video camera be handy?? That reminds about a medical procedure I had recently . . . .
Wag4513

Post by Wag4513 »

If water collects there could some anti-freeze be put in to prevent freezing and then pulled out in the spring with a wet/dry vacuum?

Jim
Jim Laurence
Chrysler C22
Dallas, Texas
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I have the same access plate under the stairs ( no pipe though) and in the bilge I have a small bilge pump that pumps it out nicely and quickly ( but never completely) out through a hose under the rear berth and out the transom....funny I am planning to install a cockpit mounted manual bilge pump....my cabin sole is really soft and oil canning so I will have to do exactly as EE has done (thanks again EE for documenting everything so well and taking out the "surprises") but I will add a bigger hatch tothe bilge access if I can..
monty

Post by monty »

I removed the bilge plate the other day and found:

1. water - well, if it wasn't -25 it would be water, to about 3" below cabin sole

2. the copper pipe is set up as a bilge drain for a suction pump. It runs forward on the bottom of the bilge to the rear of the ballast pour point. Whoever placed the pipe did a good job as they blocked the end and drilled a series of small holes in the pipe to prevent one piece of debris from plugging it.

3. the bilge on my boat is sealed off from above, rearward of the aft bulkhead. My guess would be to keep fuel or a leaking coolant from entering the bilge. There is a lazerette mounted manual pump set up to drain the area under the diesel.

4. using a digital camera dangling in the bilge (pics -rotate 90 degree ccw) I was able to 'see' the pour point partition and can see that although it probably isn't water tight, the sole and partition do meet snugly. It would appear that the ballast forms a barrier preventing the free flow of water from the forward portion of the hull to the rear bilge.

5. the 3/4" plywood forming the sides of the forward portion of the keel trunk are very wet. I peeled off some resin (no cloth here) and exposed the wood and am drying it now. I guess it was wicking up water from on top of the ballast?

I am considering raising the floor of the bilge by pouring a hard setting compound in and sloping it rearward ( by tilting the trailer bow down) so any water collecting will flow rearward away from the ballast. I don't think I can place a pump in there and may rely on the pipe and draw water out manually.

I think I may place a submersible bilge pump in the area of the head to pick up any water that may accumulate there. It would also act as a last line of defense against a sinking in case of a big leak. I would like to set up a bilge ventilator of some sort to revent condensation and keep the air in there fresh and dry.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rd400g/3335874666
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rd400g/3335873770
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Neat idea for getting a look in that area ! The bulkhead at the rear of your ballast pour is a better fit than mine was, as I had a gap between it and the sole.

EE does have a small submersible pump at the rear of the keel pocket bilge there, but then again a small one is enough since that area can't hold but a bit of water anyway-

I'd keep an eye on that wet wood on the keel trunk to be sure its solid when it dries out, as that serves as a stiffener plate.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My C-26 was registered from new as a diesel but I guess Chrysler forgot to put one in and never had one it does have the factory outboard mount.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/