Wanted:man o war mast or ideas on fixing/making one

Need certain parts, sails, accessories? Put out a request to the Chrysler Sailing Communty!
Please be sure and include useful information like, location, how much you will pay, etc.

NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS OR BROKER ADS WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM ADMIN.
JonE

Wanted:man o war mast or ideas on fixing/making one

Post by JonE »

I Just recently purchased a great man o war with trailer for $100. Quite a deal! The only thing wrong is the centerboard is a replacement, but works and the top half of the 2 piece mast is missing. I'm not against a non Chrysler spec mast, I just need something to get the sail up and pull the boat! I found a company that will extrude a mast or section of a mast but it would take some work to make it fit into the existing mast piece. Any ideas? Money is tight so a cheap fix would be great!
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I'm not familiar with the shape of the spar for a Man-O-War, but Reuel Parker has a very detailed chapter on making your own spars in his book, The Sharpie Book. If you are at all handy with wood I'd give this some serious consideration. You don't even have to use "clear" lumber.

Larry Pardey also covers making your own wooden box spar in his book, The Cost Conscious Cruiser.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer