First of many questions about my C-22.

Need certain parts, sails, accessories? Put out a request to the Chrysler Sailing Communty!
Please be sure and include useful information like, location, how much you will pay, etc.

NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS OR BROKER ADS WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM ADMIN.
Denny Todd

First of many questions about my C-22.

Post by Denny Todd »

Hello to the group. As a new-B I expect to have lots of questions.
Just purchased a C-22 and trailer after 5 years in dry dock. What can I use to plug the two 3" holes on the stern:?: Drain holes I guess.
Denny Todd
C-22
Las Vegas, NV.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

you dont want to plug them but...
You can find replacement "covers" at Lowes home impovements in the pluming section for a few dollars a piece.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Mario's right. Those are your self-bailing scuppers that allow water that gets into the cockpit to drain out the transome. These also allow the aft compartment, where the outboard gas tank goes, to vent fumes.

Keep asking the questions! We'd love to see this sailboat on the water again!!!
Tranquil Chaos
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hi Danny, Welcome aboard ship mate!

Congratulations on the new boat. I love my C-22.

MarioG is correct as always! I got my replacement greats in the Lowe's Plumbing department. They are 3" white PVC drain covers. I cut off the extra PVC from the new replacement drains and Glued them in place with 3m 5200 marine silicone.

Here's a picture of my work with the new ones in place. Well not too knew I put these in 2 years ago, as pictured here. The green stuff coming out of those scuppers was washed way a while back, Ignore that. :lol:

This is what they looked like before I replaced them.
and

Now I just a couple months ago found some lighter weight black 3" ABS Drain Covers at Home Depot that fit much better. Less cutting with the Dremal tool. They were much lighter weight than the PVC one's from Lowe's. I used them on the inside, you'll see those holes on the inside of the cockpit on ether side of the rudder post.

Do not cover these holes up. This is your fuel storage locker and MUST be ventilated by these Scupper holes. Explosion hazard with the Gasoline vapor build up and one tiny spark.

The other use for these "Scuppers" is to drain any water that comes in over the side into the cockpit floor. It self drains right out the back of the boat. Now not to worry you really have to work at water coming into the cockpit in some very heavy weather. Basically these keeps the cockpit from turning into a bath tub.

Thanks
Alan

P.S. Put all you questions in the "General Chrysler Sailing Discussion" or you could get over looked. Though I did post my first question to the forum in exactly the same place. And I wanted to know where to buy new drain covers for my Scuppers that were all broken up as shown in the last 2 photos. :lol: How about that?! :wink:
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing