Buccaneer Manuals/Parts

Need certain parts, sails, accessories? Put out a request to the Chrysler Sailing Communty!
Please be sure and include useful information like, location, how much you will pay, etc.

NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS OR BROKER ADS WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM ADMIN.
Super6

Buccaneer Manuals/Parts

Post by Super6 »

Hello, very new to sailing. I bought what I'm told is a Buccaneer 18 boat. It has three sails, needs a little work and maybe has missing parts. I have looked on the net for manuals but no luck. Can one direct me to manuals, parts, and rigging supplies??
Thank you,
Jason
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi Jason!
Welcome to the forum!

Just an FYI, most of the action occurs in the General Chrysler Discussion board. You're more likely to get a fast response there.

For the short term, here is a link to look at
http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/

It has many manuals however I did not see at a glance the Bucc manual.

As far as parts go you need to provide a list of what you need and many of us can guide you to replace ment parts. There is no real "Parts" store for these older boats anymore.

Again welcome!

Scott
mikepaddle

Ditto on the Lizards site

Post by mikepaddle »

You might want to start loking for a "donor" boat. As a LS-16 owner, I can assure you that parts are not to be found. In a way, that is a good thing as you must depend on your own creative juices to find a solution for that missing part(s).
onespeed

another old Bucc

Post by onespeed »

Congrats Super6!

I, too, have a new-to-me Buccaneer that needs some rigging and TLC. I plan to post pics and notes out on the main forum area, as I go. It looks like the folks around these boards are friendly and help as they can.

You might want to browse the class association websites for Buccs and Mutts and the 'lizards' one. It seems the 15' Mutineer shares many parts with the Bucc: rudder, tiller, centerboard; one article I read from a Bucc owner said to think of it as a Bucc with the lazarette cut off, and of course a smaller sailplan. He said they have the same beam and hull shape, too. The most salient point was that they tend to share the same points of failure, such as rudder retaining pins losing their shape...and possibly the rudder in a capsize. http://www.mutineer15.org/Articles.html

Right now, I'm compiling pdfs of written/web materials like the North Sails rig tuning guide. I guess I'll post those too, or links if I can't attach.

My next step is to call Harry Sindle's current company to see if I can get a copy of his book on rigging the Bucc for racing. See this link for two companies said to have Bucc parts for sale: http://buccaneer18.org/?page_id=95

I hate to say it, mikepaddle, but "NO!" Since a company is using the molds to make new Buccs (and Mutts), let's encourage sailors with mechanical talents to put old hulls back on the water instead of scavenging their carcasses.

All the best,
Onespeed
Champion's Edition Chrysler Bucc #3508
In the "classic" (campy?) black and gold colorway!
Anybody know what the marketers called it?