Need photos of C-26 Tiller yoke Assembly

Need certain parts, sails, accessories? Put out a request to the Chrysler Sailing Communty!
Please be sure and include useful information like, location, how much you will pay, etc.

NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS OR BROKER ADS WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM ADMIN.
RedCanyon

Post by RedCanyon »

Hey Guys,

My tiller clamp that bolts to the OEM tiller yoke broke in a windstorm.
Possible to find a replacement? (Didn't think so!! lol)

So, has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?
I could really use some advice, and, ideally, photos for ideas.

Thanks!
Keith

Keith
S/V Red Canyon
1978 C-26 #793
Colorado Springs / Lake Mendota, WI
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Replacement tiller heads are available. check http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Rudder_ ... Heads.html although I hear they are a little hard to get parts from. I made my own rudder head and tiller straps out of stainless stock.

Wasn't terribly hard, just need some patience and a nice sharp set of drill bits if you are using stainless.
RedCanyon

Post by RedCanyon »

Thanks!

Thank you for both the photo and for the reference. To get me through the end of the season I'll copy your photoed solution in some 1/2" aluminum that I've got. Then tinker with it over the winter. If I am not satisfied, well, I've got some time to get a new piece from rig-rite now that I know about them.

I'll post a photo of my solution.
Again,
Thanks!
Keith
S/V Red Canyon
1978 C-26 #793
Colorado Springs / Lake Mendota, WI
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

No problem. Look in my Flickr page, there are more pics of it. One thing I didn't take a picture of is the cross mount I added after I fitted it. Basically the same thing as your original tiller head has. I drilled it out on both plates and put a tube between the two sides with a bolt through it. I needed it to make a "stop" so it didn't drop down further.
Sailfrog

Post by Sailfrog »

Mine broke in the same place. TIGed it up and it works fine. Just be sure to have the block in it o when it warps it'll still fit.