Diagram for C22 mast step aluminum part

Need certain parts, sails, accessories? Put out a request to the Chrysler Sailing Communty!
Please be sure and include useful information like, location, how much you will pay, etc.

NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS OR BROKER ADS WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM ADMIN.
sipidel

Diagram for C22 mast step aluminum part

Post by sipidel »

Hi guys, greetings from Romania, in Eastern Europe! I have a 1976 C22 that I bought in the US when I was a grad student, and now I am sailing on the Black Sea.

Last year, the boat was dismasted in a freak gale, and in the process I lost the mast step (luckily not the mast itself :) ). Can any of you kind souls out there send me a clear photo and/or a diagram of the C22 mast step, marked with exact measurements, so I can fabricate it here?

In case there is a confusion, I am talking about the aluminum part in the photo here (this is not from my boat, I snatched it from the Forum, I believe it's from a C26).

Thanks a lot and happy sailing!

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome to the forum sipidel!
A C22 sailing the Black Sea! How cool is that?!?!?

I do not have the measurements handy but I do have another option for you! I've actually removed that aluminum piece and replaced it with a mast step hinge!!

Check out this link here and look through the photos.
About 1/3 of the way down you will see two photos, one with the original hook and one with the new hinge plate!
http://captainscottsailing.com/php/1976_Chrysler_22.php

That set up worked very well for me!
So well, I did two boats that way!
Scott
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Greetings sipidel,

I too would definitely recommend a mast hinge, but in the mean time, you're welcome to have mine for free (and whatever the shipping is to Romania). I crafted my own new hinge from stainless and won't need the hook anymore.....
sipidel

Post by sipidel »

@CaptainScott, Thanks for the quick reply. I studied your hinge replacement and it sounds like a good idea indeed. I will look into it.

Can you please send me some technical specs? Size of plate, gauge of steel plate and pin, etc? I will need at least approximate values to request a fabrication quote.
Last edited by sipidel on Sat May 03, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sipidel

Post by sipidel »

@Bubbles, your kind offer is greatly appreciated! Let me inquire about fabricating a stainless hinge, and if i decide I would rather have the hook, I will let you know.

Is there any way I can contact you privately, to send you a mailing address, etc.?
b918fvc

Mast Hinge (rplcmnt for hook)

Post by b918fvc »

Sounds like a mast hinge would make hoisting the mast much easier. So wondering if there's a retail source where a mast hinge for a C22 can be purchased versus having to have one fabricated? Or if not, would like any design specs or direction on where to find. My email: b918fvc@sbcglobal.net

Appreciate any assistance..
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

sipidel wrote:@Bubbles, your kind offer is greatly appreciated! Let me inquire about fabricating a stainless hinge, and if i decide I would rather have the hook, I will let you know.

Is there any way I can contact you privately, to send you a mailing address, etc.?
Sure, you can always use the PM function which sends a private message
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mast Hinge (rplcmnt for hook)

Post by C22Bob »

b918fvc wrote:Sounds like a mast hinge would make hoisting the mast much easier. So wondering if there's a retail source where a mast hinge for a C22 can be purchased versus having to have one fabricated? Or if not, would like any design specs or direction on where to find. My email: b918fvc@sbcglobal.net

Appreciate any assistance..
This is a popular source for hinges

Dwyer Masts