rudder assembly C26

Need certain parts, sails, accessories? Put out a request to the Chrysler Sailing Communty!
Please be sure and include useful information like, location, how much you will pay, etc.

NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS OR BROKER ADS WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM ADMIN.
mainsheetmike

rudder assembly C26

Post by mainsheetmike »

Looking for rudder assembly and post for C26. have non retractable shoal draft rudder, want retractable rudder
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

How about a trade? I am considering a non retractable rudder. The main problem I see with the standard retractable rudder is that it can hit the outboard prop.

Have you seen any problems with your rudder design?

If you want to trade pictures contact me. stevens6662 at bellsouth dot net
mainsheetmike

c26 rudder

Post by mainsheetmike »

Thanks for the reply, I just purchased the boat and haven't tried the rudder yot. Not sure what the difference in a retractable and non is as far as holding in a blow. Does the rudder often come up to hit the prop? New cleats help? This rudder is shallower than the keel trunk,so if grounded, it will be clear. How well is your rudder with a lot of weather helm? or down wind in a blow, does it seem to hold the boat? Thanks, Mike
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

I haven't sailed the boat yet. Bought it about a year and a half ago. The rudder can be cleated down. but traveling in shallow water could be a pain.
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

Hello,just thought id throw my 2 cents in on the rudder issue,my c26 has the stock retractable rudder and while its effective its not the greatest design in my opinion,the rudder kicks up by default instead of down which is a bit of a problem if using the outboard.It seems the rudders have never really worked the way they are designed with the control lines,you usually have to use an oar or something to help start the rudder into the down position.Like i said its just my opinion but i have thought of trying a shoal draft rudder and doing away with the stock all together.
Nathan
mainsheetmike

c26 Rudder

Post by mainsheetmike »

Thanks for the info on the problems with the rudder coming up. Mabey I will try the rudder as is to see how well it works. I'll post the results as soon as the ice melts at Blue Mesa lake near Gunnison co. thanks, Mike
WattJo

C-26 Rudder Head Assmbly

Post by WattJo »

I also need a rudderhead and yoke for a C-26 swing keel.. I have a retractable rudder with aluminum shaft dimens of 1.050 O.D.
If anyone knows where i can find a rudderhead and yoke let me know.
OR...A good Diagram or schematic of it would work. May have to make one.

Thanks
W Jones
Wake Forest NC
C-26 Canadian Mist