My First Sailboat

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
wontfalia

My First Sailboat

Post by wontfalia »

Hi there
I'd like to introduce myself as an excited new member as I've just procured a 1980 Chrysler 22 for $1200. Including a trailer and 5 HP Mercury about an hour from my home in Kentucky. It's the pop top version which i think we'll put to good use. The cushions and galley are all there. Sails are in bags however I haven't inspected. Almost as soon as I pulled her into the driveway it snowed about 9 inches. I did have time to vacuum some water out along with ice and wash the cushion covers which one was really soaked. So apparently she leaks. She's been sitting on the trailer for at least 3 years.

I've never been around sailboats before so I'm not really sure if there is any rigging, standing or running that is missing. Things like pins, shrouds, shackles and so on. One winch doesn't click but spins freely I guess. Lots of rigging is attached to the mast as it rests across the boat at the moment. I need to build a better setup to rest the mast while on the trailer. Also I'm looking forward to practicing stepping the mast using the method that I'm seeing that utilizes the boom as a gin pole and learning about how the rigging works. Quite a few wires are dangling everywhere in the port cockpit locker. That locker is also where the electric panel resides. Barely labeled. She needs a battery. It came with a stereo and cb radio installed below decks just above the dinette. If any skippers live within a few hours drive of London KY. I'd like to come visit you and your boat and how your rigging set ups work. I'm looking forward to joining a sailing club and learning as much as I can from this group.

Thank You
Jason Hawkins
London KY
brigadoon

Re: My First Sailboat

Post by brigadoon »

Welcome to the forum?
Use this site to get answers to your questions , almost anything you can think of on the Chrysler has been asked at least once and can be found by using the search function. If you can’t find an answer some one will try to help if you post the question. Happy sailing
Rick SV Brigadoon
avidsailor

Post by avidsailor »

Congratulations on obtaining your boat. I would suggest you take a power squadron or Coast Guard Aux course on seamanship before you hit the water. You will learn a lot about the rules and conditions in your area. This group can answer many of your questions before you launch. Post a picture
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Welcome,..and I moved your post to the General Chrysler Sailing Discussion for more visibility. Please attach some pix when you get a chance,..and again ,..welcome aboard!
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

Good for you! The only negative aspect to having a trailered sailboat is after all the effort required to rig the mast and launch the boat - you will not be happy with a short outing on the water. I confess that my young family was sometimes stuck on the boat longer than they liked. That was decades ago. I’m blessed to have my boat in a slip now.