Starwind 223

Here's a place for Starwind owners to discuss the various models of Starwinds, a relative of the Chrysler line of sailboats.

Moderator: CaptainScott

jbreland

Starwind 223

Postby jbreland » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:23 am

Hi,
I'm looking at a starwind 223 and have a question about the center board pivot pin. When I looked under the floorboard I saw what looked like a 3/4" piece of galvanized pipe capped on both ends with a caps.

Is this the standard setup or has this boat been modified?

thanks
James Breland

stan leathers

swing keel problem starwind 223

Postby stan leathers » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:46 am

Did you experience any problem with the swing keel pivot? I have a 3/4 inch brass pipe which encloses the swing keep piviot which seems to be about a half inch stainless stell rod. the rod extends way farther to the starboard than to the port side of the possible range of motion. I have 2 questions.

1. is the stainless steel rod fixed in the toip of the keel or can i center it more?

2. is the 3/4 brass pipe screwed into some sort of threaded bracket such that i can take it out and replace it? To put a pipe wrench on it will destroy it if it does not come out. I may be able to get a plummer to rethread the stub sticking out and put a 3/4 brass coupleling and plug on it to again get it water tight . The origional problem was the brass cap on the end of this pipe developed a hole because the threads were either warn away or were poorly made to start with. It did make it 23 years !!

stan

Return to “General Starwind's Discussion”