C26 swing keel

Post All Keel Topics Here
sauerleigh

C26 swing keel

Post by sauerleigh »

I just purchased a 1978 C26 from a family that had owned her since 1995. Structurally she is sound, but has not been sailed since 08.

Has anyone removed the castings that the keel pivots on?
They appear to fastened to the bottom of the hull.
Machine screws, socket head bolts?
I would like to replace the pivot pin and washers before I launch for the season.

Thanks
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Haven't removed mine, but the shoes are attached with socket head bolts, 2 each side if I recall right.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keel pin

Post by hp18carr »

Sauerleigh

Check out Emergency Exit's and Windwards's web pages among others, all have good information and photos on about anything you need to know about a Chrysler 26. What you are asking about I feel very few on this forum have done, and then only because they had too. Hopefully I could be wrong being new to this myself and the fact I wish to do the same to the c26 I'm overhauling, but from the old posts I have read this falls under the difficult project category. Oh yes welcome to the forum. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Thanks for the responses. If I decide to remove the cast shoes and check the pin, I'll take photos and write about the process.

I take delivery tomorrow and I am excited. I haven't owned a sailboat since 1981.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Pic that shows the location of the bolts, rear one just to the left of the jack neck, the other just over the wood.

Page with pics of the old girl with that keel pin 32" off the ground
can be found here
bay surfer

Post by bay surfer »

Its actually a easy job, Need some jacks, Muscle.
I checked mine 2 years ago, 3 bolts on each side 9/16 socket size New, but after 30 years of electrolysis the hex on 4 of them were between 9/16 and 1/2in. Replace the keel pin with a 105 type stainless pin I think which was for a trailer runner cut to size. The old pin looked just slightly used after 30 yrs.