C-20 keel shoe......

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Mizzousailor

C-20 keel shoe......

Post by Mizzousailor »

I've searched the forum archives but don't find anything about where to possibly get a replacement keel shoe for a C-20. Mine is showering big flakes of rust when I tap it with a wrench, though the bolts seem to be intact and the cast-iron shoe still retains its shape with no cracks visible. Previous owner said the bilge takes on a small amount of water if the boat sits for a while ...I'm guessing it's coming up through the keel-shoe bolts and into the stub keel??? Haven't put her in the water yet to raise/lower the swing keel and watch for leaks, and also dive beneath to get a good look. But if the keel shoe needs replaced, is there a source available? Otherwise I'll make one out of welded steel plate.

- Wes
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

No sources, other than other C20's, that I know of. Not sure about whether that could be the leak source, maybe one of the C20 guys will chime in on that..
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

C-20 keel shoe, an the C-26 keek shoe, are all most the same. So I would say if your shoe is in good shape, just clean it up, an wax or paint it. Water in bilge, on my c-20 water sits where the shrouds meat the hull, an leek in to the bilge, just rebed them. My hull has never ben painted, sust wax, an go sailling.
Jmckamey

C20 water

Post by Jmckamey »

Hello, I too have a C20 and have noticed water in the bilge. I bought the boat late last fall and did a complete clean up on her. She had water in her and I thought is was from the fact the po had removed a couple of insturments from the cabin bulkhead leaving two 4 inch holes exposed to the elements. I installed a couple of plugs and covered the boat with a tarp for the winter. This tarp covered the intire boat except for the area around the bow pulpet. You can imagine my surprise when I went back in early spring to find more water in the boat. I have to agree with the previous comment on rebedding the shrouds.
IMHO the problem is in the way the deck is formed. You will notict the raised edge around gunnels will not allow for water dainage. I find if I keep my boat fairly level the shroud thru hull fittings are always under water, even with a cover, as the rain just runs own from the bow and has no where to go.
Mizzousailor

Thanks for the observations....

Post by Mizzousailor »

I've noticed how water collects on the deck (at the aft end since my boat/trailer tip up slightly). I may try to remedy that. The bilges are bone dry now, even after some decent rain, so water doesn't appear to be getting in from above. I won't know if it's a keel-related issue until I plop her in the water....hopefully this weekend!

After wire brushing the keel shoe a bit to get the loose flakes of rust off, it looks in pretty good shape....no cracks. Maybe my concerns were overblown...
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Had another thought. You may want to check for any water stains around the rudder thru hull fittings, they are plastic and then only a rubber hose with hose clamps to keep out the water. About a 2" hole in the boat protected by a $2.00 clamp. Gota wonder what they were thinking sometimes.
Mizzousailor

Re: Rudder....

Post by Mizzousailor »

Thanks for that suggestion. I crawled into that area this morning and looked around. No indication of any water, and the rudder tube had two stainless hose clamps, the way it ought to be. I still think the rudder is a weak point and eventually may build a kickup rudder that hangs on the stern. Would require a lot of repositioning of stuff, so that modification is probably a long ways off....
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Agree'd. Dont much care for the whole rudder motor interference thing going on with the rudder kicked up myself. How are you susposed to beach the boat? Btw, Does your main sail have sail slugs?
Mizzousailor

Sail slugs......

Post by Mizzousailor »

I'll check....haven't actually taken the sails out of the bag yet. I'm hoping my main does have slugs because I've found (in previous boats) they make it much easier to hoist the sail.

By the way, Jmckamey, where are you located? I'm in Springfield, Mo. Is your C-20 playground a lake or the ocean? Nice to find other C-20 owners....we seem to be quite a tiny subgroup of Chrysler boats...
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

We are located in East TN. We sail on a couple of mountain lakes near by. I trailer the boat. Use to keep a venture 24 in a slip at smith mt. lake in Va when we lived there. I find the 20 is an odd sized little boat; not really worth keeping in a slip as it is too small for weekends and tuff to trailer as the rig is quite substantial to step for a day of sailing. I would like to find a marinia where I could keep the boat on the trailer with the rig up however, all the ones I've looked at have power lines running too close to the ramps.
Took her out for the first time last weekend and the wind was blowing like stink. Took a 35mph gust and broke all the slugs and the top reinforcement plastic for the mainsail head. Looking at the leftover parts it was easy to see the age of the plastic was a factor. Lots of little cracking a checking. Made for a moment of exictment when the main hit the water flailing around like crazy. Have ordered new slugs and remade the reinforcement in aluminum. I suspect your sail will have slugs as well, just was'nt sure if this was a stock configutation when I posted the Q, but have since seen enough info to belive it so. The boat still sailed well on the jib only. Spent about 3 hours that way. It's allways something with these boats.
Hope you can get yours out soon.