Painting the Bottom.... or not.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Zahger

Painting the Bottom.... or not.

Post by Zahger »

I thought I had to paint the bottom of my newly acquired C22 until my friend pointed out the bottom of it was only so rough due to the fact someone tried to paint it with a paintbrush, and in fact we could scrap off that "bad layer" and reveal the perfect original paint job. I don't know what the last person was doing, but I will add some pictures. Tomorrow we will have a "scraping party" and get this done before the boat launches next week.

On a side note... I noticed the front top portion of the rudder is cracked.. what is recommended to fill this in with?
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Well you would have to scrape it off in either case but I think when it is all done you will probably want to paint anyways because the scaping will do some damage to the gel coat. You can paint using the roll and tip method with excellent results if afterwards you decide it needs painting. Emergency Exit used a paint stripper on his c-20 that he said worked well and could help, perhaps he can chime in since I do not recall what it was.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I am also thinking of stripping the bottom paint on my 1976 22. The existing paint is worn away in some spots and I have thoughts about stripping entire boat and just using something like PolyGlow if the hull looks in good condition.
I am going to "dry sail" my boat...no slip...so I really don't see the need for paint if there is no evidence of blisters or damage.

I would like to see further comments on this topic from those with more experience than me...which is slim to none.

Here is an interesting aside to the topic of bottom paint... My wife and I spent a week this last April in North Carolina outer banks. Our host at the bed and breakfast works for a boat builder that manufactures luxury yachts. While we were out for a sail on his Catalina 22 he told me that he and a lot of folks out there just use basic Interlux bottom paint without any antifouling ingredients. He said that they buy a standard tin of ground cayenne pepper at the grocery store and mix it in 1 can per gallon of Interlux. They leave they're boats in the water year round and he said he has had no discernable growth on his hull in 6 years.

Take it for what its worth...sounds interesting if true.
Bill
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I scraped mine and still had to sand it to get the remaining primer off completely so once you have gone that far and done all that work painting is really not that much trouble. I used a two part epoxy from interlux without any defowling because I don't leave mine in the water either.

I think if you have to sand it then you really need to paint it to make up for damage done to the gel coat
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I expect that you are correct on that Banshi...the prep work on most painting projects usually makes the actual paint application look easy.....
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Banshi wrote:Emergency Exit used a paint stripper on his , perhaps he can chime in
Ready Strip by Back To Nature. You can buy a can that says "Marine" at West Marine on it or you can buy a can that doesn't say "Marine" on it and is half the price at a some hardware stores. The MSDS were identical.

Here's a link to the WM page.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10308

Lay it on very thick and it works great, don't skimp !
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I used a razor scraper then thinner to remove the original bottom paint from my C-22 and left it bare because we dry sailed it at the lake with no problem. I'm sure at some point it will be repainted to make it look better, but for now i'm thinkingh that it glides just a little faster in the water the way it is :P :D.

I would say to look at other boats that sail in the waters you plan on sailing in and see if theres a growth problem if they set in the water any langth of time.

Because of the brown salt water our C-26 is in all the time at this point, I will wait until this winter to haul it out and freshen up the paint that I believe Frank had done within the past few years.