chrysler 22 -- transom and cockpit holes

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
waterson

chrysler 22 -- transom and cockpit holes

Post by waterson »

Ahoy! I purchased a '74 Chrysler 22 at the end of the season last year and have yet to put her in the water. I've got everything ready to go... except I'm mightily concerned about the 3" holes in the transom and the cockpit (see attached pictures). Ought I be plugging these with a gasket? Or are you meant to sail with these open?

Thanks in advance...

chris

Image[/img]
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

These have to have an appropriate cork - and only cork will work. It has to be put in in such a way that the cork will pop out when 37 lbs of pressure are..... Sorry

No, leave these open. They are your automatic scuttles which drain any water from the cockpit into the motor area, and from there out the stern back into whatever body you took the water from. Think of it as recycling

Now you won't know which of these to belive - but #2 is correct.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
waterson

Post by waterson »

LOL! Okay, thanks a lot...
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

There should be some sort of grill though to keep the critters at bay. I finally swapped mine out for thru hulls with flappers to reduce the water coming in when I am backing out of the ramp. Though not water tight they do reduce how much water gets in the space. Even so there is always some in there regardless of which way I'm headed so don't be alarmed to pop the hatch and see some in there.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Welcome Chris

You can get 3 inch "drain strainer" at Lowes that will fit the holes in black or white
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
parared

Post by parared »

Wow, those hole are huge. On my 79 C22 they are maybe 1 inch in diameter, both sides.