C-20 in high winds.....

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Mizzousailor

C-20 in high winds.....

Post by Mizzousailor »

We had a rollicking sail Sunday in winds gusting to 25 knots at our small lake north of Springfield. Overall very pleased with our C-20's stability and speed, though we did put the starboard rail in the water and shipped a small amount into the cockpit when a really BIG gust pushed us over. Loosed the main and rounded up into the wind and she came right back up. I knew we were overcanvassed a bit, but still a great day's sail and am even more impressed with the C-20's handling. Now I know what she can take!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like a BLAST!!!!!

Scott
skyking

Re: C-20 in high winds.....

Post by skyking »

Mizzousailor wrote:We had a rollicking sail Sunday in winds gusting to 25 knots at our small lake north of Springfield. Overall very pleased with our C-20's stability and speed, though we did put the starboard rail in the water and shipped a small amount into the cockpit when a really BIG gust pushed us over. even more impressed with the C-20's handling. Now I know what she can take!
You must have sent the gust to us over in Pa...we were sailing great all day, until a black cloud appeared on the horizon..We descided that it was going to pass us by, and boy were we ever so wrong :oops:

We were on a starboard reach when my wife said where did all of the other boats go?? we just figured that they didnt want to get wet...

and low and behold about 2 minutes later the wind shifted and I knew we were in deep #%$& There was a squaw coming right up the lake so I yelled, get the sails down now!! and the 2 guest that we had with us had no idea as to what needed to happen LIKE YESTERDAY :shock:

As I dumped the main sheet ,handed the tiller to my buddy, ran for the haylard to drop the main, I yelled to keep it into the wind, it was too late..the gust of wind felt like it was in the 50mph range and went onto our port side...boom in the water, couldnt get the main to come down( pulling as hard as I could) fineally got the main down and went to drop th jib!!! again, it was next to impossible, due to the gale force winds...I managed to get that one down as our windows were at the waters edge :oops:

I know this because some folks had come over to my wife and asked" However did you save that from going over?

The squall lasted about 5 minutes and for the life of me . I feel that the only thing that save our skin was the fact that MY Tyme has a fixed keel :D :D

I'm embarrassed that I allowed myself to get into this situation , but the good lord was on my side!!!

LESSON Learned: I will never under estimate the un predictable force of mother nature. And I will never leave the marina again without briefing everyone on board and assigning duties should there ever be an emergency..

The next time I see dark clouds..There will be question as to what I will do next..

Take it from me a novice sailor...Better to be safe than put your friends and family in harms way..

P.S. I know everyone likes picture, but you'l have to excuse me as there wasnt any time :wink:
Mizzousailor

Wow, Tim......

Post by Mizzousailor »

.....glad you survived that one. Your points about being prepared ahead of time are good ones. Hope nothing broke after all that.

We had a young lady aboard our boat Sunday - her first time ever on a sailboat - and she raved afterwards about how exciting sailing is. I had to let her know that getting knocked on your side isn't really a typical event in a cruising boat like ours...still, she had a smile a mile wide. In this case, her ignorance was bliss! She instinctively did the right thing, too....move to the high side, hang on and stay out of "all those rope thingies".
skyking

Post by skyking »

I was impressed at how much that C22 could handle..My confidence in these chryslers has just sky rocketed :D

From the top of the mast to the rudder, everything held up great..what a tank!! :D I was walking on the sides of the boat..The best thing is I dont know how I stayed on :shock:

And to think that my wife was going to jump??
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

Mizzou....glad to hear you finally got that boat on the water!! Sunday was plenty breezy here too and I had no intentions of getting the Bucc out, not as green as I am. Working my way up slowly.

sky...whew....sounds like 5 minutes of terror to me! Good goin' on your part.

Thanks for the tip on the thread.
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Don't get me wrong but I have washed the windows on the C-22 a few times, the boat will handle it with out going over,the people on-board is another story.
Woodchuck

White Caps

Post by Woodchuck »

Mainly I sailed solo on lake Ontario; I added a little weight below deck under the mast bracing which seemed to help in white caps. In sudden heavy wind, I would lash the tiller handle and go forward to stand under the opened hatch, leaning forward to drop the jib. It was nice to be able to do that in the C20, my legs and lower body would be braced inside under the hatch opening. I seldom reefed the mainsail, never seemed to have time, just toughed it out. Once in awhile, I seemed to lose rudder control with it full down. I never figured it out? When it happed the rudder seemed to have no effect. I could solve the phenomena by raising the swing keel up a little or/and raising the rudder a few degrees; that would regain control.
heekee

Post by heekee »

skyking wrote:I was impressed at how much that C22 could handle..My confidence in these chryslers has just sky rocketed :D

From the top of the mast to the rudder, everything held up great..what a tank!! :D I was walking on the sides of the boat..The best thing is I dont know how I stayed on :shock:

And to think that my wife was going to jump??
Sounds like a great time! :lol:

I have also found myself on some storm fronts this year, you couldnt ask for a more capable and study boat when the elements get dicey.

Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I have felt the same with the rudder on other boats in simular conditions. I think the sail plan is out of balance with a full main and no jib. Sorta turns the boat into a big weather vain and the rudder is too small to compensate. I think when the rudder is lifted a little it has the effect of making more rudder due to the change in angle. Same with the keel. Maby a small storm jib could help reinstate balance to the rig. Just my theory.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Can we say "Storm Jib"
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Woodchuck

Storm "Jib"

Post by Woodchuck »

Yes, out of sail balance makes sense. In my dusty mind is the memory of a plan for a storm forward sail. It was in a book or article on cruising. The idea was a canvas which "clipped directly to the forward deck and could be hauled up quickly after the jib was dropped.
Woodchuck

Storm "Jib"

Post by Woodchuck »

A five minute Bing search yields a ton of info below is just one hit. I sailed back in the era of Hardcopy Info.
:oops:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221780
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hee hee...

Been there too.. glad everyone and every thing was OK! But it is hard on the rigging,,, and reefing early and a storm sail makes it fun again!