Boating vacation desires

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
thepartydog

Boating vacation desires

Post by thepartydog »

A little casual "work related" research here:

What desires do you have for a boating related vacation? Boats already on site, or bring your own? Trailer storage/parking? Good information about launch locations? Accommodations with an available dock? Split time between anchorages/marinas and land accommodations?
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Our vacations are almost always focused on Destiny. We stock her up with vacuum sealed pre homemade frozen meals, water, fuel and various other gotta have items. We typically leave the US within a day and head up into the Canadian Gulf Islands. We avoid most docks and strongly prefer to anchor oout. After a week or so we are generally in need of something whether fuel, wine, laundry, or just water we usually run low on something. We'll hit a lesser populated marina to restock. We generally spend the first part of our vacation as far away from folks as reasonable and then spend a few days in a larger marina like Victoria BC or Roche Harbor. We then spend the last few days of our vacation meandering home visiting any places we missed along the way or just relaxing. We have our favorite places but have a standing agreement to hit at least 3 new islands, anchorages or whatever. The idea is to keep things fresh.

For the 4th, we'll spend the entire weekend on Destiny watching evening fireworks and lighting our own on the beach.

Hmmm, so I guess we take our own boat.

:)

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Now there's an idea. Over the years I've spent a bit of time at some nice rental staring at the water, and wishing. A rental unit with boat would be a nice extra.

One of the things that I liked when we went to the unit on Fort Morgan was that the owners slip came with the unit.

Now, had that come with even a runabout, wow, we could have hit a whole bunch of waterfront places for everything from dining to shopping to movies.

As far as I know, nobody offers that as an extra, at least not in the areas we frequent. Sure would get my interest if anyone did.
shunt1

Post by shunt1 »

Living in Minnesota, my first priority would be the Apostle islands.

Eventually, my wife and I will sail in the Bahamas.

Perhaps only dreams now, but with enough training and skills, this will become possible some day.

Before anything can become reality, you must identify your targets first.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

While we have decided that a summer slip is well worth the cost, we still plan to trailer Copacetic to distant locations at least once a year. Hopefully next year will be the North Channel (Lake Huron). The Florida Keys, the Dry Tortugas and/or Bimini are all considered within reach.

This year we're just sorting out the boat and our own skills, both learning new ones and dusting off old ones.
Last edited by tgentry on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

shunt1 wrote: Before anything can become reality, you must identify your targets first.

That is extremely close to a quote I live by.
"If you do not have dreams, you can never obtain them".

I firmly belive my wife and I can obtain anything we want by simply having a dream, becoming focused on that dream and always working towards that dream.

I love to see others with similar mentality!!!
8)

Scott