sail trim

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
amayotte

sail trim

Post by amayotte »

Hello,

I have a quick question about sail trim. Bare in mind that I am just learning.

I have learnt two basic things about sail trim...I think.

1. Let the sail out till it luffs then bring it in until it doesn't.

2. Your starboard and port tell tales should both be streaming aft.

The problem...

These two rules seem to contradict each other. When I do number 1 I still have to keep hardening the sails to achieve number 2.

What am I doing right/wrong.

Thanks,
Adam
kokezaru

Post by kokezaru »

I am assuming you are referring to the Jib. The rule of thumb is correct that you should bring the sail in until it stops luffing, but the telltails are the more accurate refference.
However, if you need to sheet the jib in tighter because it is luffing while the telltails are streeming back, then you may have your fairlead to far back.
--Richard

'77 Chrysler C26 "Imori"
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Adam,

Nothing wrong with either way... Tell tales are just more accurate. I don't have them on my Genoa, so I use #1 method on that sail... But on my jib I do have them... They allow you to see the turbulance on either side of the sail, and that is drag which slows you down. Like Richard said, make sure your rigging is in the right spot,,, each sail will have a differant placement for the lead, and I often forget to check that if I've changed sails...

Watch your tell tales around that luff point and you'll see all kinds of flutter,,, as you trim or change heading they will mellow out and you'll notice your speed pick up. Get them & keep them paralell (sp?) on both sides of the sail an you'll be busy on the tiller, cuz it's only a matter of a degree or two, or slight shift in the wind, or as you ride up and down a wave, and it's not right. But in that sweet spot my bow goes down and speed goes up! You feel her just accelerate... you need a nice touch on the tiller to find it and keep her there.

With the #1 way it's just getting you in the ball park and that's fine for just out having an enjoyable time,, but when that other boat starts to pull up along side you, an you want max performace,,, hee hee, an we all do it ya know... watch those tell tales and know your doing the best she can.

Any bonehead can throttle up a stink pot and go faster, but getting your sails trimmed up right and keeping them there with all the variables coming at you is the art and physics of sailing. Ya gotta have your head on a swivel and scan,, the water to see what the wind is doing coming your way, especially if it's gusty, your heading to stay on course, your wind indicator and tell tales for any wind shift on the sails to know if they need to be tweaked, then back to the water again. Getting tunnel visioned at on any one spot will slow your response to any needed changes. Being ahead in that game and letting your crew know what you need before you need it can make things more enjoyable for everyone...

Oh yeah,,, and have fun too :lol:
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Thanks for all the help. It's nice to know the difference.

Just to clear up my situation, the sails would finish luffing as I was hardening the jib sheet and then I would have to keep winching in the sheets to get the tales to stream aft. I had to winch in a fair bit before they would perform.

Maybe my blocks are in the wrong place.

I read somewhere that a good starting place for lead blocks are where the sheet bisects the sail evenly at the clew.

Thanks again,
Adam
kokezaru

Post by kokezaru »

amayotte wrote:I read somewhere that a good starting place for lead blocks are where the sheet bisects the sail evenly at the clew.
Adam
You are correct, drawing a line from the center of the luff to the clew is a good starting point. But it is more important to do a sea trial and look at the foot of the sail and the leech to make sure that the tension is about even.
For example, if you are getting horizontal wrinkles on the foot, but the leech is not tight, then the fairlead is too far back. Or, if the foot is loose, and the leech is tight, then the fairlead is too far forward.

Other factors that can effect the sail shape is the halyard tension and the forestay tension. You do not want your forestay to sag too far to leward. And you do not want a sag in the luff either.(do not make the luff so tight that you see vertical wrinkles though)
--Richard

'77 Chrysler C26 "Imori"
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing