c22 tiller help

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
canoeman

c22 tiller help

Post by canoeman »

can anyone tell me the best way to hold the tiller straight while doing other things on the boat while solo sailing? i have thought about 2 ropes or maybe just one with a loop or some kind of knot so i can adjust. bungee? thanks in advance bob
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hi, Canoeman

The free way to do it is here:

http://www.blumhorst.com/potterpages/Ph ... -tamer.htm

The buy something way is here:

http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products ... pnum=02205

Good Luck
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

thanks alot, i will give the free, nothing a month a try this eve. there is some wind on the lake. hope its still there when i get out of work! thanks again bob
Gus

good info EE!

Post by Gus »

I tried the Cajun Tiller tammer, didn't really work for me. The rudder sits too low in the cockpit to use the stern cleats. I do have the Davis tiller tammer, but I'm yet to install it. I was thinking in replacing the standard nylon line with a bungee cord (easy to make small corrections) but I haven't found the right size cord to fit in the tammer.

Gus
Gus

good info EE!

Post by Gus »

I tried the Cajun Tiller tammer, didn't really work for me. The rudder sits too low in the cockpit to use the stern cleats. I do have the Davis tiller tammer, but I'm yet to install it. I was thinking in replacing the standard nylon line with a bungee cord (easy to make small corrections) but I haven't found the right size cord to fit in the tammer.

Gus
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Oops, I should have mentioned that I was using the system with the tiller pulled "up" instead of the normal , more horizontal position when tightening the line. In y case the knot was above the cleats. Throwing in a hitch can help too.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well, I was thinking in doing this in order to install the davis tiller tammer. I know it came with 2 little cleats, but the installation will be ackward. So I was going to drill a couple of holes in the bulkhead of the gas locker, install a couple of brass pieces to prevent chafe in the line, and finish with a washer and a knot inside the locker. But again, I haven't done anything (and the gear keeps pilling up, tiller tammer, barlow winches, bilge pump...)

Gus