Mast Raising Confusion

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mast Raising Confusion

Post by Bhacurly »

Hi Gang,

After toooo long, I hope to be raising my mast for the first time next week, of course at home to figure it out. Many of the older sites have some info but the links to illustrations no longer worked for me.

The manuals gin pole method is confusing me to read. My older boat was small enough to just walk the mast up, but I really don't want to even think of going there with this one... If you have the manual, steps 2 and 3 are turning my brain to mush tryin to make sense of what is tied to where. Anybody have a decent labeled illustration, directions, or pict that will help!??

Also, (I know I need glasses),, just to be sure of my diagram for the bridles length, are they supposed to be 24 3/4 inches in length? AND,, It say's to put the foreward bridel in the 23rd toe rail slot. This is right at my stanchion post. Will that be a problem as the boom comes forward?

Thanks again for all your help, and glad to see the activity here. I enjoy all of the pictures you guy's have been putting up also! Keep'em coming :D

Billy
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Morning Billy,
(In my experience doing this twice, others mileage may vary)
As long as the loop in the center of your bridles are at the same height as the mast step, and align with the mast step the length of the bridle and where you clip won't matter so much. I used some chain with snap clips for the ends and the center so it was adjustable. If you make up the bridle, slide a rod thru each of the center clips, and the rod crosses the deck right about the mast hook, you should be fine. Or just sight thru the center loops visually. Someone else used the 4 of the tiedown straps with rachets so the could adjust the length on the fly.

If your bridles are too short (below the mast step), they will get tight at some point and the mast raising will bind on the way up, if too long (above the mast step) it will wobble from side to side at some point.

I got a longwinded (ha ! longerwinded, I guess) descrip on the whole thing I emailed someone else, I'll email that to you.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Could you email me a copy too. I solo sail 99 percent of the time which means I also have to step the mast solo. I am always looking for an easier way to step it.

thanks
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ron,
Welcome Aboard

I emailed it to you just now