Lost Summer

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Leeway

Lost Summer

Post by Leeway »

Well, I'll just say it was a disappointing summer for me as far as sailing the Man-O-War this year. I didn't get out even once this summer because of the major repairs it needed. :evil:

The only work I got done on my cracked centerboard trunk was to remove the old, dry rotted bracing and molding, and grind off the 3/8 inch layer of epoxy paint around the area in preparation for new glass and bracing. I did this back in May and then hit a road block.

I found that a good portion of glass on one side of the trunk was de-laminated. Because I'm a novice when it comes to fiberglass I didn't want to replace the whole trunk myself. So, I solicited help from a friend of mine who restores boats for a living. The problem was that he was busier than me this summer and our schedules never coincided to work on the project together.

The boat sat in my driveway all summer collecting water and other debris. After some more rain this week and the start of the leave dropping season I decided to cut my losses and get it ready for storage.

I made one last ditch effort to contact my buddy to check his availability. Finally, he will be able to help me sometime in the next few weeks. :D So, last night all I did was power wash the boat, drain the standing water inside and put it in my garage for the time being to dry out until we get working on it.

With any good fortune, we should have it completed by the end of October and it will be ready for next season. There's something to be said about living in the south. I'd be looking at salvaging the season if I lived someplace warm! :roll:

I did purchase a fiddle block with becket for the main to attach to my existing swivel base. This will bring the boat back to the original rigging. So, that's one thing to be excited about.

Hope everyone else had better summer sailing than I.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Nope :cry:
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

thepartydog wrote:Nope :cry:
Care to elaborate?
Lee Hoeppner
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Leeway/PartyDog,
I feel for you both, EE was not sailed from August 2005 till July 2008 !

Leeway, come on down, the water's fine here. Mind you it blows ashore in a 22 foot surge with 100 mph winds every so often, but it is nice and warm ! :wink:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sorry to hear that folks.
Our summer was good.

Lots of sailing on a variety of boats! Been so busy sailing on other boats I have yet to sail on Alan's boat Honu.

I did manage an outing or two where he was on Honu and I was on Loady Jo so we passed wind so to speak! :)

I did however manage a yacht delivery with Alan though! Spent an overnighter on a 36' C&C.

Again. Sorry for those that did not sail much. Come on over to my house! I'll take ya sailing!!

Scott
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

The worst thing about it is that each time I went out to my in-law's lake house this year, where I normally sail, the wind has been phenomenal!

If I would have had the boat with me it would probably be dead calm.
Lee Hoeppner
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Well it's like this.....let the real sailing season begin......yeehaaa....;)

Sorry about the lost season though I know how that really rots.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Except for my avatar, I haven't seen "Ya Never Know" in over a month. Too much work, rain, and too little motivation. The current project is scraping, repairing, barrier coating, and bottom painting the inside of the keel pocket. That's a demotivating experience if I've ever had one. Worse yet, the next 4 weeks aren't looking too promising either.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

We've done ok this summer.

Missed the first part due to my shoulder surgery in April, but have had some really nice day's and still have a month maybe before we pull out for winter.

I feel the pain of project boats also! I bought my Catalina 27 project in Sept of '07. Daughter moved her wedding up a year and told me that the same week, there went my $$ for the project. So it was gutted the first fall/winter. The wedding was the following Summer in '08, really nice, but the project sat neglected waiting.

Sugery was tax day this year and spent most my time before that getting my C-22 ready for the water. Mostly I changed out my outboard for the one meant for the Cat 27. A new Honda 15hp electric start so I didn't have to pull on my Merc 7.5. That meant a whole new mount set up for the bigger motor...

I have just recently started sanding off all the top deck non-skid to redo the whole top deck. Thats a lot of area on a Catalina 27. The shoulder can do 'bout 3 hrs and then I need 3 days to recover! I get spasms in the good shoulder cuz it's doing all the work and can hardly shower, dry, shave, comb my hair, get dressed, and go to work during that 3 days, it sucks!!

I was hoping to have the paint and non-skid done by now, but have almost 1/2 the deck still to sand :roll: then the glass and prep work before I can paint anything. I'll be looking for a hanger to paint in as the weather is probably gonna change here in a week.

So for all of us doing boat work, all I can say is, man it'll be sweet when it's finally done, and can sit back and enjoy the sailin when that day comes, cuz I know, like with my C-22, it does eventually if ya just keep plugging away an hang in there. I still get compliments on how nice my C-22 looks and feel a rush of pride knowing we did all the work ourselves.

I know why sailors say "Arrrr" cuz I'm always hurtin sumthin. The words "Boat Hole" have become as derogatory as anything profane I can muster after spending time in places and positions that make every muscle group and joint scream out in displeasure!

My sailin friends think I'm nuts, but ask for advice an help when they need it. I get tools for gifts on b-days an Christmas an I love that!

So overall I guess to me it is all worth the sufferin just to have a day like last week on the water where it was perfect. Sunny, warm, a steady light breeze with almost no waves so it was almost silent. My sweety almost asleep on one side of the cockpit, me almost asleep stearin with my foot on the other side, and nobody else on the lake...
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

What can I say just after getting back from my 5th outting on the lake yesterday, but its worth all the work and wait.

As for the living in the south ..I'm not planing on bringing my C-22 home for a few more months. Then I will finish up the little things and a few bigger modifications.

Over all this being the first season even if it did start late has been great, Everything fell in place perfectly, the outtings have all been smooth sailing and best of all there much more to come.
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

Exactly as MarioG said, except I did get a few more than 5 days in. Matter of fact I think I will get off here and go take the boat out. I have a steady 9mph N breeze and a projected high of 80 today.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

We have not had Easy Street in the water since July 7 2008 when we pulled her because of low water in the lake, and we wanted to replace the foam back liner inside the boat. We started in the fall of 08 taking the old liner out. But in November I found out that I had prostate cancer so that put a halt to all work for a while. Then on March 9 I had prostate surgery. By the time I could get back and work in the boat summer was here and to hot in side the boat. As soon as the weather cools down will get back in and finish it up and be ready to launch when the lake comes back up in the spring. Since the surgery have been cancer free.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

mariner

Post by mariner »

We just spent a day of "cabin sailing" it's raining so a book a movie and a few sandwitches and some pop and away we went... Securly attached to the dock! I think there will be some more days like that before we pull out for the winter... :lol:
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
FranS

Post by FranS »

SN691 wrote: Since the surgery have been cancer free.
That's great news!
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Sea' Chele is back!!!

She's sitting in my driveway with a new centerboard trunk, better than when first built.

Just need to install my new fiddle block and swivel base for the main and she is ready for sailing this weekend.

Oh, yeah, I also have to replace the trailer wiring harness connectors because I pinched them between the bumper and the hitch when backing it in last night. Had a tight turn into the parking space and stupid me jack-knifed the trailer. I didn't realize my buddy had the wiring hooked up over the top of the hitch. Smashed up both connectors beyond recognition.

Oh well, easy enough fix. Can't wait to get her out on Lake George on Saturday. I haven't sailed her in 2 Summers.
Lee Hoeppner
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

YEAH!
Welcome home!

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Lake George...up by Rhinelander?
Nothing quite like sailing a small sailboat on the lakes in northern Wisconsin :D
Sailed my Sailfish on lakes around Minocqua as a kid.
I enjoyed finding the lakes with little or no homes on, and I'd have the lake all to myself, I guess lakes like that are getting rare these days :(

Don't get stuck in the weeds :shock: :lol:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Yep, Lake George just outside of Rhinelander. My avatar was taken on George.

This lake has three sections and each with their own personality. Wind can be coming hard in one direction and quickly change when you approach another part of the lake.
Lee Hoeppner