Oh no, more keel stuff?

Post All Keel Topics Here
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh no, more keel stuff?

Post by Paul »

Part of my keel overhaul, I decided to replace what may have been the original rope for the keel. It is 5/16 X 11' woven synthetic. Just for grins I'm tempted to replace it with another piece of rope - but you folks who have transitioned to steel cable, what size are you using?

Having asked the questions a few thoughts come to mind:
I wonder if rope won't buzz like steel cable when making good headway?
I wonder if rope, being larger diameter, helps keep the water from occasionally sloshing up the reel hose?
I wonder if cats had opposable thumbs, could they open their own cat food cans? :?
Tranquil Chaos
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Hey Paul I have to agree with Alan Cats don't need the thumbs as long as they have pets like me.

As far as the keel cable goes I know both my C-22's had stainless steel originally (7mm). I think you could go up in size if you want but I'm not sure I would use rope as it would strech much more and the winding and water would weaken the rope much faster.

I have a cork in the eng of my thru hull tube to stop the water from comeing up and it werks very well.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Paul

If it works it works... but using a rope sounds fishy to me. Not that I'm an expert on any of this, but using a rope to lift the keel... to me falls under a PO's modification. Use at your own risk.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

I wouldn't hesatate to use rope for the keel. Take a look at some of the specs of the new rope out there, it's stronger than the steel cable.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I was taking my surmization from the Chrysler-22 Parts manual, Detail - C, page 333-8. It calls out a daunhaul line of 8 feet. The picture appears to have a line rather than a cable.

And I want to thank you for the cat answers. I've been asking that question for years and this is the first group with answers!
Tranquil Chaos
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I think chaffing at the keel loop would be a problem for any rope.

I am interested if it hums like the cable. I never had a speed indicator on the C-22 we" were just humming along" (sounds like a good name for a boat) which gave you the idea your doing good.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I have not seen rope used for anything other than a dagger/center board. For an 850lb keel I think Stainless steel cable is the way to go. $1.50 per foot. 316 SS 3/16" 7/19 cable with a breaking strength at 3210 lbs or 1/4" with a breaking strength of 5600 lbs. The boat only needs about $15.00 worth. Cheep insurance. :wink:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Plus one for the stainless.
No fuss, no worries.

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I'm voting cable as well. A search turns up another thread on the subject at