I bought another sailboat

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Mario G

I bought another sailboat

Post by Mario G »

Saturday morning the 1st mate had this idea to go look at a Morgan 33 that she thought she might like. So we jump in the car and head out. While driving the back way to the highway we passed a yardsale that had this some what odd little sailboat in front with a sigh that said $10, so youi know I had to stop.

It looked complete and in good shape so I handed the woman the cash and ask if I could leave it due to the fact that we were going to look at a 33' boat. The look I got was worth the $10 it self...lol

So we get to Charleston look at the Morgan which is a nice boat but a big no for the 1st mate and head up the coast to spend the night with family.
The whole time all I can think about is getting back to play with the unknown new boat.

well now that I'm back at my computer I've had a chance to look and identify it......ready for this

I believe what I have could be a Chrysler Barracuda 13 :D

If I can pick it up by noon today I hope to sail it later and will post pictures.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Mario, you may just have a thing for Chryslers... go with it and buy the TICON 30.

By the way, I got to meet Lindsey (?), Sherry's son, at Oriental Town Dock. He was doing some work on Shaken Knot Stirred, and flying a series of anchor riding sails that looked suspiciously like laundry. Hopefully the water came up enough to permit him easy exit from the dock... looked like he lacked about 4-6 inches.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Nice Mario!

I'm glad to see it is not just me that tends to guy sailboats!! LOL!

Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

LOL!

Too funny,,, look forward to picts... the fleet is growing at the bottom of your post!
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

Mario....purty soon yur gonna be in the business o' boat tradin'....

Now how cool is that to find that boat. I hope it is the Barracuda for you!
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

What I have is a Sears Fleetwind which looks alot like the Barracuda, I'm willing to bet that the hulls are made by the same company. I'm sure sears didn't have a boat building plant.

I was missing the rudder mount but fabricated one with Teak blocks and bimmini brackets that feel solid and look good.

They close the city lake Wed. &Thur. go figure and tommorow I head back to the coast so I'm not sure when I will get to sail it , yesturday it was 80* tommorow 60*
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Mario I was going to suggest have a look here
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/searssailboats/

but looks like you've rounded that mark already so I'll post for others to follow along !
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Here she is there are about 5 pictures
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Mario,
I think you might have gotten a better deal than I. Memorial day weekend I was passing a house with a sailboat in the front yard with a "free boat sign on it. After recovering from the whiplash and U turn I got out to find a Sears Surfwind. I knew Sears had sold sailboats but had never seen one. I found the home owner and asked about sail and spars. She said I could look under the house but she didn't know anything about it . They were getting a divorce and it wasn't going well. She was giving away all his stuff. Missed a free waverunner by 1 week.

You got the better deal since you got a boat, sail and spars for 10.00. My boat looks the same as yours except foward of the cockpit there is a well in the deck I guess for a cooler. The daggerboard and rudder are the same as yours. Any idea how the rudder stays down? I have the same unplugged hole in the transom. I plan to put a standard screw in transom drain there. I have a mast and sails from a GP 14 I might look at using. It will be a stayed rig with a lot of sail HMM, but it will stay rigged on the lawn ready to go.

There is a decal on the deck that says the boat is Goerge O'day approved. Sears sports advisor.

When I'm home and its still light out. I'll get some pics and post them.
Clair
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Look very much like a Sunfish.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I'm all Alans fault. :lol:
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I finaly got pics of my free boat. The hull shape resembles a Laser except for the truncated bow. It has a Sunfish style bailer that looks like a PO install. It needs to be replaced. I can't figure out how the rudder is kept down. Maybe Mario has figured that out on his 10.00 boat. As i stated before there is no rig but I have all winter to figure that out. With a quick sanding and paint job it should be a fun boat.

Mario, Bring yours to Pamlico, we'll race.
ClairPaste link in email or IM
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Well, that didn't work.

I'll try again
Clair
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

http://picasaweb.google.com/10570348534 ... directlink

This should work. I forgot a step
Clair
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

And this might help. It seems Sears still sells parts for this boat complete with numbered diagram

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... 34/1305170

Enjoy!
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

LOL Clair I will needto take you to your challenge but right now sailing is getting in the way of me plaing with the Fleetwind and the only way the 1st mate said I could bring it this trip was to come up with a way to mount the 3,5 outboaed other wise we will stick with the dinghy :cry:

Paul when I started looking for the rudder bracket I found that site and thought WOW I could actually go to a mall and get something worth while but the catalog says most parts are no longer avaible.
The do hasve nice details thou.

I'm also told that i'm not to find anymore great deals on sailboats.... but ...which small Chrysler would make for the best sail/dinghy? I know you can put an outboard on a LS-16, are there others that would fit this need?
(she still calls me capt :lol: )
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Mario,
it's OK that she calls you captain.

You only need to worry when she calls herself ADMIRAL!

LOL!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Mario G wrote:I'm also told that i'm not to find anymore great deals on sailboats
So you're in the same 12 step program I'm in for boat addiction ? You know, you go to meetings and she says "you go within 12 steps of another boat and I'll beat the..out of you ?"

:wink:
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

I bought another boat as well

Post by Beady »

Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie