Mondays 11/29/2010 Question and boating safety tip ANSWERED

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mondays 11/29/2010 Question and boating safety tip ANSWERED

Post by CaptainScott »

Safety Tip:
With all the recent inquiries about roller furling lately I thought I'd do a safety tip on roller furling. Then last weekend when I was down at the dock I saw a boat that had troubles with the furling coming undone. When sailing with roller furling, keeping the lines all reasonably tight when rolling or unrolling the sail is critical! If you unfurl your jib by simply pulling one of the sheets and do not keep proper tension on the furling line you will be in for a world of hurt! If your furling line is loosely wrapped around the drum, when you go to furl the sail the line will simply bind up in a big knot! Suddenly you may find yourself needing to put that big jib away and you simply can not! Now you must have someone take the helm while you go lay on the bow trying to un tangle the mess all the while swearing you'll never have another furler! All this when the problem is not likely the furler but simple miss use! Yup! Hmm, how to describe what happens. Picture this, you are fishing and have a salmon pole with a trolling reel. You cast your line . . . . . and much to your dismay you now have a rats nest instead of a reel with fishing line. Ever do that or see it done? Well, that is basically what happens to the furler. Or maybe you don't fish. Every fly a kite? Ever wind the string loosely on the spool? Only to later try and fly the kite again but the string on the spool just seems to bind and make a knot? All this happenes because the loosly wound furling line, fishing line, kite string, or whatever has so much SPACE between each loop. When you try to unroll the line under tension, all the line collapses on itself instead of unrolling nicely!!! For those with furling main sails, SAME THING! When someone comes to you and claims furlers are dangerous and can get you into trouble . . . . . . .call BS. Teach them how to PROPERLY unfurl the sail!

Now, this is all good and fine but what about FURLING the sail? That is when you put the sail away. SAME THING! Keep some tension on the jib sheets. You'll have to experiment as to how much. IF the wind is howling, maybe that in itself is enough. When there is no wind and the sail hangs then you MUST pull the jib sheets and keep tension on the sail while furling it up! This will furl your sail nice and evenly without space in it. The sail will look clean and crisp on the furler. Once the sail is furled, don't stop there. Take four or five more turns on the furler while holding your jib sheets snug. What happens is the sail will furl tight, the jib sheets will wrap around the sail effectively holding it in place, and will keep the lines looking tidy! Now CLEAT OFF the jib sheets! Do NOT just let them hang! They can come loose!

You do NOT want your sail to look like this because it came loose at the dock!!

Question:
You are motoring down a clearly marked channel or river. You are following the outbound tide in hopes of getting a push so you can get more sailing time in! You see a sailboat tacking back and forth across the channel.

Who is the "stand on" vessel?
Last edited by CaptainScott on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

the sailboat tacking across the channel is the give way vessel and you are the stand on or as it used to be privileged vessel.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

you're motoring and he's sailing. you are more maneuverable and should give way to him. but i'm probably wrong since i know next to nothing about this stuff so far.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Iron Mike is right. I just finished a boater safety course with the Power Squadron (yeah, I got it real bad!) and if you're under power, you are a power boat, as far as right of way priority goes.

I say the sailboat stands on and you (motoring) give way. Unless being in the channel has something to do with it....
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I'm with these guys. The caveat is that you are a power boat, not a sailboat if you are motoring rather than sailing, so ... stay out of the way!

Paul
Windward

Post by Windward »

If I read right you're motoring downstream, with the current, while the sailboat is heading upstream (spawning?). I'm pretty sure upbound traffic gives way, sailboat or not, so I'll be the contrarian here and say the downstream motor vessel stands on and the sailboat gives way.

I imagine that logic here, if there is any, is that one is less maneuverable when traveling with the current, and thus the upbound vessel will have an easier time of giving way.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Vary good safty tip, that is why I chose the alado roller furling.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I'll go with the sailboat is stand on in this scrnario.
If it was a barge/tug coming downstream...that would be a different story.
I always believe is prudent to give away to a larger vessel...If you don't think a vessel can turn quicker than your C22...let them have the right away. May not be the correct answer, but I think it's the safe answer.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

The key is you are motoring in a clearly marked channel and the sailboat is crossing the channel as far as nav rules I myself would give way to the sailboat but Scott had this same question a while ago.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

First Thanks for the responses! I love it when I get a variety of answers! It shows people are thinking about the question! I love it!

However even with all the different answers there a a couple of key points in the question and a couple of irrelevant points.

Key Point 1: You are following a clearly marked channel.
Key point 2: The other boat is crossing a clearly marked channel

Irrelevant: what kind of boat the crossing boat is. It can be anything. The CFR's to not stipulate what KIND of boat is crossing the channel. CFR's clearly indicate the crossing boat is give way.

Irrelevent: what kind of boat you are in.
Irrelevant: that you are going up or down the channel

ANSWER:
So, the stand on vessel is the vessel following a clearly marked channel.
The giveway vessel is the vessel CROSSING the channel.

What you may do is different from the CFR's. I fully understand that. Just be aware, Should there be an accident, they will not consider who was the nice guy. They will follow the CFR's and various lawyers interpretations of them.

Nice catch Lyle! Yes, I have asked this before. I was just wondering how many people would remember! LOL!

CFR: Code of Federal Regulations
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Thank you Scott in my boater safety course they asked a similar question and I wrote my answer down and handed to the instructor who is also a lic. captain and a neighboring sailor. I have been boating for 45 years and at age 10 I took the power squadron seamanship and handling course so this was a refresher course and the capt. Stan asked me to answer some and hold back some so others could learn. He also would ask me when it was time for the correct answer to be given and I got some wrong but it was a refresher and I
did learn an example was stand on and give way instead of privileged and burdened vessel.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Windward

Post by Windward »

Yup, I subsequently went back and looked it up, and I was partially remembering rules governing powerboats in Western Rivers / Great Lakes. In this case, the right answer for the wrong reason is still wrong. :oops:

Even though this was a question already asked, clearly it still has merit. Thanks!