Cushions

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cushions

Post by Beady »

I want to make new cushion covers for my C-22 (mine are really ugly Cleveland Browns colors). I have watched all the you tube videos and did cover one in vinyl or fake leather (not happy with that) . I have a sewing machine and think I can do this.

My question is has anyone done this and how many yards of material did you use for a full set? As always any suggestions would be great.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Funny you should ask. I am in the process of gathering the materials to do my C22 as we speak. I bought 8 yards of fabric and I thought that would be cutting it a bit close after I got it home. Bought the material from a reminat shop for $4.00 per yard so I went back and snaged the other 4 yards of material she had. Should have plenty left over for repairs later if needed. This material I will use for the tops, the sides, and the piping. Just got back from looking for vinyl for the bottoms and saw some for as much as $25.00 per yard so I will purchase from ebay, I can pick it up for $6 per yard . I hate not to use the local shops but they're crazy if they think I'm going to pay that much. Laid out all my cushions and looks like 6 1/2 yds will work. I had a couple of cushions missing from my boat ( two on the dinnett and the starboard birth) so I went to a discount furniture store and bougth 3" foam rubber they sell as a full size mattress for $40.00 and just finished cutting out the new cushions. I think I will have about $175.00 in the completed job. This includes the 9 zippers and 50 yards of whelt I got on ebay.

This will be the biggest sewing job I have attempted but I think if one takes their time and marks everything out nicely it should go well.

I am doing fabric on the tops of these cushions because I was'nt happy with the vinyl on my last boat. While it was easer to clean it was awfull to try to sleep on. Hot , clamy, and slippery.
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Are the bottom of the cushions going to be in vinyl? I was thinking of doing my entire cushion of the cloth I pick out. That said then 10 yards out to be fine right? I want to have plenty for mistakes and or repairs and since I hope to buy this on sale as well.

I don't think I could sew in a zipper so I'm going to use a velcro strip instead. I did that on my first pop up camper cushions about 15 years ago and they turned out ok.

I figure I have all winter, and this is a project that I can work on in the basement because it cold to work in the garage.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I hear you on the all winter part. I pulled a few stitches around the zipper area to see exactly how it was sewn. I'm going to give it a try.
Not sure if any of the other boats cushions have vinyl on the bottom, or if this is an oem configuration. I just thought it was done this way to keep down mold and mildew between the liner and cushion and to be able to flip if you were in wet swim trunks and such.
As far as 10 yards, not sure. Like I said I laid all my cushsions out as if to cut material and measured 6 tight yards to cover the bottom surface only. My cushions are 3" thick. That requires 4" strip to make the sides and a 1" strip X 2 to make the edge piping on the top and bottom of each cushion. This will eat up a lot of materal. Plus, I plan to make curtians from the same material. I have 12 yards of fabric and am going to purchase 6 yds vinyl.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

I found an Amish guy who has a canvas business over in my area. Lots of positive word of mouth and much cheaper than the normal commercial folks. That said, he's way more expensive than the numbers you guys are talking about.

I've got no sewing apparatus, (nor skills for that matter) but I probably could have bought a decent set-up.... Oh well, easy come, easy go.

I'll post pics when I get them.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I have an old early 70's model singer machine I recently purchased for $125.00 after killing our newer brother machine. The older machines are so much better. This thing will sew thru anything and is super simple, strait and zig zag stitch only, none of this new computerized plastic crap they sell today.

As for the material, try to find a mom & pop remnant shop, usually find better deals but you'll need to buy extra because you will not find the same material again.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I was lucky to have the skills of my wife and her mom, and the original cushions to recover. We used 15 yards to cover all the cushions. We just used blue denim for all sides. Got the fabric at a local mills end type of place.
Also got fabric for the pop-up enclosure all for about $125.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I just finished cutting the fabric for the cushions tops and sides. I was working off an 8 1/2 yard roll and used all of the roll with min waste and I'm still short two 5" X 120" side peices. I have another 4 yds of the same material to work from so I'll be ok on that. I still need 6yds of vinyl for the bottoms. I agree, 15 yds min. and that's with no major goof ups.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Here's a question that I should have researched before I turned them over to the Amish canvas worker: How many cushions should there be? (Turned them in for replacement prior to finding this site!)

I have 11 and I can't say much more than that. I fsomeone has a picture or a drawing of what ought to be there, that would be great!

Cheers!
Mark
mariner

Post by mariner »

I have found that when embarking on a new project like this it is helpful not to "cut corners" you will regret it in the long run... especially thread type!

the web site below has a ton of great info on it, the catalog is outstanding.

http://www.sailrite.com/
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I now have 9 cushions. like I mentioned earlier my boat was missing the foward facing dinnett seat bottom, a dinnett seat back and the starboard birth. I'm not sure the correct configuration. I made the dinnett seat bottom and starboard birth as one large peice each. Perhaps yours are made from two peices each. That could account for 11 total peices. I don't plan to use the seat backs but I will need them in the inventory to complete the dinnett as a birth if needed. I'm a skinny guy and with those seat backs in place I can bearly squeeze into the dinnett.
Last edited by Jmckamey on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Don't think taking the time to hunt down good prices on materials would be considered cutting corners. If you let them most shops these days will rip you blind.
mariner

Post by mariner »

Jmckamey wrote:Don't think taking the time to hunt down good prices on materials would be considered cutting corners. If you let them most shops these days will rip you blind.
agreed, as with most things these days, a ton of research is needed before you pull the trigger
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

I have a total of 11 cushions-

4- in the v-berth area
4- in the dinette
1- long one for the starboard berth
2- cockpit
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Thanks guys for the info on the amount of material. I only use 4 cushions in the berth, two for the table and 1 long cushion on the starboard side. I got rid of the table that came with the boat and put in a round table makes it a lot easier to get around in the cabin. I do have the other two table cushions but the base one on the port always got stepped onto as you go into the cabin and wore out, those two I just left in the shed. If I spend the night it will be up front.

I just wanted the cushions to look nice if every season is like last I find I spend very little time down in the cabin. My biggest problem is that it gets so stinking hot down there. I write this as the low for tonight is going to be 8F go figure.

Anyway thanks for the info I think I will get 15 yards.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Thanks for the info, Mike!
Mark
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Jmckamey wrote:I now have 9 cushions. lI'm a skinny guy and with those seat backs in place I can bearly squeeze into the dinnett.
That tidbit does not bode well, for I'm a bit broad across the beam! It'll look nice, if only for show....
Mark
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

One thing I always try to keep in mind when customizing or eleminating gear from one of these project boats is the next owner. It never fails, you think I'm going to keep this forever then the next best thing comes along and you can't sell her fast enough. I know when I look at anything to buy like these projects the first thing I look for is completeness of the item. For this reason, although I don't plan to use the seat backs I am going to recover them and keep them in good condition. Same goes for anything else I don't plan to use. I'll hold on to them because It could be the very thing the next guy is looking for.

On the subject of the table, I have in the back of my mind a table with two folding leafs that can be used to make the table narrow on either side when in use as a table then be unfolded and put into place for the birth. This may require a couple of slats running the span between the seats for support while using as a birth.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Alanhod wrote:
Jmckamey wrote: <SNIP> the OEM table which I started building <SNIP>

Thanks
Alan
Hey Alan,
I have an OEM table you are welcome to borrow and use as a pattern for your new table. Just let me know if you want to.

Scott
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

My table setup. Table top was a pre cut piece from Lowes.

http://www.trinityroadimaging.com/Other ... xGq3-L.jpg
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Now that is cool! I like it!

Scott
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I second that! When you think about it, that's all you really need.
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

cushion update

Post by Beady »

Well I have decided that I pretty much suck at sewing so I got some 1/4 inch birch and stapled the fabric to the board. Seems I can use a staple gun better. :D
http://www.trinityroadimaging.com/Other ... 3261_pHoBb
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: cushion update

Post by CaptainScott »

Beady wrote:Well I have decided that I pretty much suck at sewing so I got some 1/4 inch birch and stapled the fabric to the board. Seems I can use a staple gun better. :D
Hey! Looks pretty good!!
I however just might be enclined to think that dog is a bit big for the crate though! LOL!!!!!!

Scott
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Scott:

You are correct the big dog in the picture is too big for that crate my friend was kidding me about him being too big for my boat. He does take up almost the entire cockpit when he lays down.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good for you taking your dog!
We failed to acclimate our ol' German Shepard to the boat so she never had any good trips with us. She eventually passed on.

However . . . . . Our new Corgi . . . .She's a different story! The day we got her we took her straight to Destiny and spent many hours that day crabbing and babying our new puppy aboard! She did finally make it how and is now a great boat dog!

Speaking of which, I think I'll start a post on pets aboard! LOL!

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: cushion update

Post by Alanhod »

Beady wrote:Well I have decided that I pretty much suck at sewing so I got some 1/4 inch birch and stapled the fabric to the board. Seems I can use a staple gun better. :D
Okay, that is a cool table, but wait there is more. Check this out! While I was admiring the Sail La Ve photos I found this little beauty.

I really like this!

Thanks
Alan 8)
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Alan:

The sun cover you liked is from a hammock that I have for the backyard. It is nothing more than some tent poles (the fiberglass type from dome tents) and some nylon. I like it but it is not wide enough and one of my projects is to make it a little larger. I suck at sewing but can sew well enough to sew a strait line or two. I use it as a sun shade but it is hard to think about sun as I prepare to head out and shovel the snow out of the driveway.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22