long voyages

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Michael O'Brien

long voyages

Post by Michael O'Brien »

I happened to be talking to the former Chrysler chief engineer today about a maintainence question and parts sources, and he mentioned a couple of interesting stories about C-22s.
They intentionally put heavy duty hardware on the boat and built it stoutly. They heard from one customer, a doctor and his wife who sailed to Hawaii, but on the way they ran into a storm with a waterspout which either hit them or came close, capsizing the boat with a full 360 degree roll. Everything was tied down, and they sailed on, apparently with no damage. I mentioned the story to a former Chrysler dealer I also spoke to today, who had heard it, and he believes that the couple made the roundtrip more than once! Anyone else have a long voyage story?
The engineer also mentioned that when they were designing the boat, they bought a copy of all the competitors to test against their prototype. They lost a Catalina 22, which sank in a capsize test on a Dallas lake, which it wasn't supposed to do, as regs required self-righting. They notified Catalina, and he presumes the problem was fixed. But he says it is a mistake to remove floatation foam - you never know when you'll need it!
Dan Myers

long voyage

Post by Dan Myers »

Ran across a mention of a couple who had sailed their C26 from the FL gulf coast through the Carib. too Venezula and back up. I think it was a swing keel.
Dan
Rich

Post by Rich »

The more I hear about these nice little boats, the more I love 'em! I know my Chrysler 22 feels nice and solid, in strong winds it just feels like she heels into a groove and stay's there with no fear of going further, even in a gust.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks