C-26 Tow Vehicle

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
PortageRat

C-26 Tow Vehicle

Post by PortageRat »

What are you guys towing your C-26 with? Would a Chevy 1500 pickup pull it?

Thanks!
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I am pulling mine with a Ford F150 Super crew cab. It's towing limit maxes out at 9500 lbs. I believe my boat and trailer tops off around 7500 - 8000 lbs.

When I first purchased my C-26, I pulled it home with a chevy HD2500. Forty miles into the trip I was pullled over my the state police in Tennesse and they made me weight the boat at a weight station. It was very bizzare because they seemed like they wanted to give me a ticket however they could not find anything that i was doing wrong. They went over everything I had regarding the boat and the truck. In the end they let me go however they told me to stop at every weight station on the route home. I always thought that the weight stations for only if you were commerical
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Probably because you were driving a HD truck they thought you might be hauling for pay. You do not have to go through the way stations unless you are hauling commercial. However it makes for a good exucse to see if your are towing legal, they can just say they suspecting you were hauling for pay.

My two cents on the size truck are, you have to assume that even if you have trailer breaks they could fail. Does your half ton truck have the weight and breaks to safely control and stop your combined rig in an emergency? Secondly your going to pay a heavy price in fuel with the gas engines half tons are limited to (this will soon be changing) if you tow it any distance at all. A diesel can also supplement breaking power on ;ong down hill runs saving your breaks for when they are really needed. Therefor I would say with a boat that heavy a diesel powered 3/4 ton would be your best bet. Of course they are more expensive up front though they added cost of the diesel engine will pay itself off in 4 years or so even with the diesel being higher priced.

To that end if you want a diesel buy the best, the only real heavy duty truck diesel on the market....................in a Chrysler product no less :)

http://www.byershome.net/_Truck/Truck.htm :wink: