C22 Spinnaker Questions.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Franklinp40

C22 Spinnaker Questions.

Post by Franklinp40 »

Dumb questions. I searched a bit here and around. Watched a few youtube vids but still don't get it. I have a spinnaker that came with the C22. I was handed the bag and told it was the spinnaker and has never been up since he owned it. I took it out and looked at it. It is big and colorful. I am guessing it is symmetrical type. The pole is strapped to the trailer and there is a spot on deck with two wood blocks for its storage. SO thats where I am at. I am guessing you attach the top of the sail to the Jib lift and hoist it outside the front stay. Then I am guessing there needs to be two lines on each corner of the sail to run back to the pulley for the jib then into the winch to the cockpit. I think allot of the problem is the terms used, since there seems to be no real standards for what to call all the lines. Everyone seems to call them different terms which is confusing. So that leaves the pole I would think this goes on the chrome ring on the mast and the end of the pole is maybe suported by a small line from up high (needs to be installed?) Then the pole attaches somehow to the lower corner of the sail on the side the wind is coming from?
Trying to figure this out. Again never flown one of these. Looks like it would turn into a soaking wet mass of nylon and lines wrapped up under the boat. Thanks.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C22 Spinnaker Questions.

Post by Alanhod »

Franklinp40 wrote:Trying to figure this out. Again never flown one of these. Looks like it would turn into a soaking wet mass of nylon and lines wrapped up under the boat. Thanks.
Well this last couple of sentences about sums it up if your not careful. I got a, like new if not new, OEM spinnaker from someone right here on this forum. I do not have the whisker pole yet and never even launched my boat other then to change trailers in 2010. SO I have yet to use it on my C-22.

If I follow your wording correctly it sounds to me like you have the right idea on the rigging.

1. Run a line/rope from the down wind bottom corner of the Spinnaker back to the cockpit like you would a Jib line/rope.

2. Run the top of the Spinnaker up the mast with the halyard for the jib.

3. Attach the whisker pole to the up wind bottom corner of the spinniker.

4. Run a line/rope from the up wind bottom corner of the Spinnaker back to the cockpit like you would a Jib line/rope. I keep the wind off slightly to one side of directly aft. so the wind is pushing from slightly off center line. The pole is on the up wind side of that.

5. Make sure the person on the tiller and the person putting up the spinnaker have the plan down really well as to how thing will be done and communicate very clearly what is going on as you do it. If you don't, it can get ugly fast and then get real dangerous.

Done right, it's a blast and I'm really looking forward to it on my own boat.

Note: In my sailing life I have done this on exactly 1 sailing trip, many years ago. Anyone who whats to add more, or completely change what I have said, PLEASE speak up. I calm to have done it, but I have not mastered it by any means. I hope to practice more this coming Summer/Spring if at all possible.

I still need a whisker pole though.

I don't suppose you could measure your OEM whisker pole for me? Could you and post the length and diameter here, pretty please. :P

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Franklinp40

Post by Franklinp40 »

My pole is 105 1/2" Long by 6 3/4 " OD circumference. :shock:

I will be shocked if my very first attempt at pics post works.
Franklinp40

Post by Franklinp40 »

Ok where does the ring on the pole hook too? The top of the mast via some non existent line? I guess i could unhook that top line from the boom and use it since the main will hold it up.
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

One end of the pole hooks to the mast. Usually there a SS ring, sometimes mounted on a track on the leading edge of the mast. The fixed length cable with the ring in the center is used to attach the topping lift to support the weight of the pole. The forward end of the pole usually has a down haul running to swivel block aft of the head stay, to prevent the pole and spinnaker from lifting and this also limits the pole from swinging aft. Since the pole will not swing past the head stay, when you need to jibe, you release the guy hook, ease off the down haul, then release the mast hook, swing the pole aft to clear the head stay, switch the side relative to the head stay. Hook the opposite guy and reattach the hook to the mast. FORESPAR has some pretty videos on their web site.

Chances are that you a conventional spinnaker, you'll have to lay it out to be certain. A asymmetrical or cruising chute to not require a pole. You'll need a crew with this and it will take practice. You will need a topping lift, a down haul, a set of blocks mounted as far aft as possible and some practice.

My Catalina 25 came with a brand new cruising chute and sock and I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Best of luck.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Franklinp40

Post by Franklinp40 »

Thanks that makes allot of sense. Yes it is a Conventional spinnaker, I thought it was called symmetrical, sorry. The down haul to keep from lifting is what I am missing I guess. I'll check that site for some vids. Thanks.
Franklinp40

Post by Franklinp40 »

This answers allot of questions , thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL3QzQusquE
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hey thanks for the photo's and the measurements on the Whisker Pole. That is a much more substantial bit of hardware then I had imagined. Looks like small back up mast. :D

Storing that baby on board will require some dedication too.

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Franklinp40

Post by Franklinp40 »

There are two little teak blocks on the port side starting under the front window and the other is in the front. It snaps into a rod on those blocks. Haven't tried it yet but looks like it will work. I looked at them online, they start at $930 just for the pole!!! I kinda want to sell the whole system, but I don't want to screw the next guy who buys the boat out of it. Although I am sure that will be years down the road.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I was looking at generic whisker pokes online last summer. I thought the were running in the $100 to $200 range for a Whisker pole. If they run $900 then I'm sunk on a whisker pole. Na, I'll find one. :D

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
Franklinp40

Post by Franklinp40 »

I went to that Forspar from the above post. Maybe thats the Cadillac model or something. I know it telescoped. The sell just the ends too.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

A whisker pole an Spinnaker pole as I understand it are two differant toys... One holds the jib out an the other flies a spinnaker...

My spinnaker pole attaches to the mast on a ring about 5 ft off the deck, has two lines on it, one above to a pulley bout 2/3 up the mast to hold it up, another from the middle of the forward deck to hold it down, then I run the windward line to the bottom of the sail, through the spinnaker pole end, an back to aft end of cockpit then forward to the winch. Same on the leeward side of sail. A line to hoist with that usually raisies the jib. That makes 5 lines total.

FWIW

edit to make clearer??
TravisJ

Post by TravisJ »

Mine came with both poles, but no Spinnaker sail. There is a ring on the front of the mast about 5 ft. up. But I have no idea how I would rig a topping lift or downhaul. Maybe someone can show some pictures of how their topping lift and downhaul it rigged?
1991 Capri 26 "Mari Sol"
1976 Chrysler 22 "Evening Star"

Commodore, Lynn Creek Yacht Club
Lake Joe Pool, Grand Prairie, TX
mariner

Post by mariner »

The pole is just an aluminum tube, you can buy the ends for them at vereous on line places, I have to believe that if you dont have one you could make or assemble one for a lot less than buying premade.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Since it was cold and rainy yesterday I watched "Improve Your Sailing Skills" on Netfelx it had a section in it on flying a spinniker that may help.
I would suggest this video as a must see for the folks new to sailing and a good review for the rest of us.
Description;
Designed for the sailor with intermediate experience, this instructional video contains enough advanced information to help anyone become an expert in less than an hour. Top boat racers present each topic in an easy-to-follow, step-by-step approach that makes learning as easy as possible, covering everything from sail trim, draft control and reefing to spinnaker handling, tacking and jibing, safety and anchoring.

You may be able to get the DVD from the library also.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place