Overhaul... a little boom help.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Overhaul... a little boom help.

Post by hp18carr »

I've brought this up once before a good while back, but never got around to it. The wind was blowing too hard today to do any worth while work on the boat, so I spent the day in my little shop. The boom had been collecting dust resting on a couple of 2x4's over the door. I had a sudden craving to take something apart, the rest as they say is history. The two photos that follow are of the part of the boom that has given trouble... so far. I have an idea or two on how to fix the old part, but I would prefer to replace it if i can. Is there an adequacy replacement for this still on today's market? If not, does someone have an old damaged boom or the like where I can acquire (far a price) this old part?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Good question Hp18carr,

I was thinking this very thought last week. Mine is in good shape but a friend is building a boom and is in need of this part and the part at teh other end of the boom too. We're actually looking at building a whole new boom. I found the rectangular aluminum tubing, we just need the end caps.

I've not looked for them yet. Hope someone here has seen then and will tell us.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I'd send these guys an e-mail with photos of what you are looking for. Bet they can help.

sail@dwyermast.com
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I know you can get everything except the aluminum casting (though someone some where may carry it), mine is actually in pretty bad shape so when the time comes I will probably replace the boom as well, unless I can locate someone with a standardized set of accessories for square booms.
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Do you know anyone with a tig welder? If you can't find the piece to buy, that looks easy enough to make. Just cut the pieces out of aluminum bar ( available online) and have the pieces tiged together. Shouldn't cost too much for the 2 sizes you need. You can check out aluminum prices at mcmaster carr.

Clair
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Checked at http://www.dwyermast.com/ and they do not show a replacement gooseneck. I did check out their mast extrusions and the closest to the size for a C26 is a 3 1/2" X 5" oval and that puppy is $37.00 a foot, something like $1100 for the C26 and then you need to get it home from CT.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Nice web site sauerleigh,

One of these Goosenecks will work for sure. Now we just need to cut some of that Aluminum Bar stock to fit in the ends.
http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... Goosenecks

We have a Metal shop, foundary, supply place close to me were they sell the Aluminum square tubing and the Bar stock. Once the Bar stock is cut to size which this same shop does cheap, I'll just bolt the ends in place. Mount the goosekneck in one end, drilled into the Bar stock. The other fittings can be mounted to the new boom. This would of course be a loose fit boom sail foot. I would not be cutting a channel the length of the boom so I could slide the lugs into it.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing