Great lakes in the spring.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Jmckamey

Great lakes in the spring.

Post by Jmckamey »

Looks like I have a couple of months on my hands. I have always wanted to do some sailing on the lakes. What would you guys in the area recommend for a couple of weeks of cruising on a C22? And is this a good time to go? I live in East Tn, so the drive wouldn't be too bad. Would like to do the keys, and still may, but I thought I would save that for a winter trip. :D
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Cleveland might be a starting point. There are 3 public marinas and about as many yacht clubs. Whiskey Island Marina is where I keep my Catalina 25 and I know they have transient dockage. The city is finally going to make improvements for recreational boaters which will include transient dockage downtown next to the Rock Hall and the Great Lakes Science Center but unfortunately the area will not be completed until next spring. One thing I like about Cleveland's harbor is the breakwall which is about 5 miles long, so even if Erie is nasty you can spend some time on the water inside the wall.

From Cleveland East there is Mentor = 23 miles, Fairport Harbor = 30 miles, Ashtabula = 55 miles and Erie,PA = 90 miles. To the West you have Lorain = 25 miles, Huron = 44 Miles, Sandusky ( Cedar Point ) = 50 miles will Marble Head and Port Clinton within 10 miles of Sandusky. All have safe harbors. Sandusky area can get very busy especially on the weekends.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

The panhandle of Florida is gorgeous this time of year. You could cruise the inter coastal waterway. History, nature, beaches...

Just saying that the Keys aren't the only great place to sail in Florida.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

PartyDog, I won't be able to bring EE, but the Cal 21 will be coming down to Bear Point Marina in August's first week..got some of those great panhandle places on my list !!
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Ft Pickens should be an easy sail from there.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Windward

Post by Windward »

Although I grew up in the area and spent much time motorboating and some sailing between Detroit and Alpena, I've not cruised the area. Lake Erie and Lake Huron are definitely not to be trifled with, although many do sail there.

An interesting alternative (not what you requested) might be southern Chesapeake, or the North Carolina Inner Banks / Pamlico Sound (inside of the Outer Banks) area. Some good open water sailing, lots of remote anchorages, cheap shrimp and often quite a lot of wind. Two to three weeks would be a perfect amount of time to traverse Pamlico fairly well. Launch in Oriental, work up into Albemarle Sound and back down to Cape Lookout and into Onslow Bay. With a good weather window, perhaps make the 70 nm jump down to Masonboro Inlet / Wrightsville Beach.

It will be a hell of a lot warmer than the Lakes this time of year, too.

If you're remotely interested, I can share some waypoints and routes with you. Image
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

thepartydog wrote:Ft Pickens should be an easy sail from there.
That's on the list if the weather is good. We're actually staying out the Ft. Morgan peninsula again, and it would closer to slip at Navy Cove or Tacky Jack's, but there's really nowhere to "sail to" on that end..just open Mobile Bay..so I'll probably spend a night or two on the boat.

I'll shoot you an email, maybe we can catch up for some delicious Gulf Coast seafood one day that week.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Don't know if Aunt Jenny's over in Ocean Springs survived the hurricane, but I used to love getting my eat on over there years ago!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Thanks for the repies. Starting to think about the Cedar key area in North Fla. (not to be confused with the great lakes :wink:) as it may still be cooler up north than I'd want to deal with.
Partydog, you close to there? Any good words about cruising the area?

Jeff, Thanks. I'll check with you this weekend. I plan to stay on the boat Sat. night.
1977 Chrysler 22
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

C'mon, that's not cold! It just keeps the riff-raff out. :lol:
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hello thepartydog, looking over some maps and sat photos, kinda focusing in on the Fort Walton beach, Gulf Islands Nat'l Seashore areas. Can you make any float plan recomendations?
1977 Chrysler 22
Windward

Post by Windward »

Jeff, I am inDCthis wind. Isiting my daughter and.aging launch jockey for the GWU rowing invitational. Hope to make it next wknd
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Mark, :lol: . Jeff, See ya next week.
1977 Chrysler 22
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

For the great lakes the Apostle Islands (Northern WI L. Superior) are very popular for small boats. Also can be very remote as most of the islands are uninhabited. Next up would be Green Bay Nice if you want a combination of big water and bay sailing. Do a loop around the Wisconsin peninsula crossing from lake side to bay side at Sturgeon Bay. Lakes Superior and Michigan change conditions rapidly so keep an eye out!

-Jim S/V Anhinga
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Absolutely, I am directly north of FWB. You can consider me to be your "ambassador for the Emerald Coast". By the way, the City of FWB has docks (no electric or water) downtown right on the inter-coastal waterway where you can overnight for free.

I have Pelican Publishing's cruising guide for the northern gulf coast, and would be more than willing to lend it to you while you are here. It is a great reference for the inter-coastal waterway.

I don't have current charts, except for the digital charts I use.

How long will you be here?

What are you looking for in cruising? Do you plan to marina hop, hang from the hook, or a mix?

What are you wanting to see and do while your cruising? Sight seeing? Island Camping? Diving (ever see a sunken battle tank)? Fishing? Bird watching? Dolphin watching? Gator wrestling? Golf? Go Carts? Amusement parks? Water parks? Bars/Music? Dinning? Shopping? River cruising? Kayaking? Bicycling? Stand up Waterboarding? Jet Ski's? Sandbar Parties?

Excellent sailing bays galore in both directions on the Inter-coastal waterway from FWB.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hey partydog,
Great to hear from you and thank you so much for your generous offer. Staying on a C22 is a bit like tent camping. So we'll be in need of access to water and power from time to time. Would like to split the time between the hook and dock. Free docking is always good :D , but I don't mind paying a fair rate for a shower and a glass of ice water. I'm guessing hotels are within walking distance from the fwb dock. That might be a good for the first night after the drive down. I had in mind operating from a base and doing a few two to three day outings. Bay sailing would be mostly what we would be looking for unless weather allows for some outside stuff. Where to? well, I was hoping you could help with that as I have not been in the area before. We are completley flexable, sorta go where the wind blows us, so to speak.
The plan as it stands, is to trailer down the first of next week and stay a week to ten days, or more if we decide. Would love to see some of the state parks. Are they accessable from the water/sailboat?
I'm going to trailer the boat home tomorrow for some pre trip prep. Broke a spreader bracket today, so a new set of brackets is priorty one. I will pm you with my number.
Jeff
1977 Chrysler 22