Chrysler Outboard question from new boat owner

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Potomac Fever

Chrysler Outboard question from new boat owner

Post by Potomac Fever »

Hoping for some help with a Chrysler 850 Outboard sailing motor. We are extremely new to boating so this may fall into the "dumb question" category but how does one figure out the size of the gas line fitting that connects the motor to the gas tank?

Also, is there anything special to know about cleaning the Carbs on said motor? My husband has done it before on regular engines but hasn't worked on any outboards to date - we're assuming that it's the same general concept.

I have been unable to find any manuals or really any, information, for this 1970-something motor. Does anyone know of a good resource or is it even all that necessary? Are they more or less true to your standard outboard configuration?

Any help would be most appreciated! Thank you!
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I'll assume you are referring to a Chrysler 250 Outboard sailing motor (10hp).
Sorry, I can't help with the gas line fitting size, but I know it fits the standard outboard gas hose.
Carb job is straight forward if he has done them before. Make sure all the pasages are clear and the float is adjusted. It's good to rebuild the fuel pump at the same time.
I was able to get the carb and fuel pump kits from iboats.com.
I found it takes more time to get the carb out and back in, than it takes to clean and rebuild it. :shock: If you remove the gas line fitting from the engine cover you will have easer access to the carp mounting nuts.
I have PDF of the parts manual for a Chrysler 280 with the exploded views if that would help. The 250 and 280 are much alike.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard -

My best source is Franz Buddenburg at Franz Marine - trust me, if is related to a Chrysler outboard he knows it..and more.

www.franzmarine.com

Tell him Beau on Emergency Exit said hello !
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Capt. Bondo wrote:I have PDF of the parts manual for a Chrysler 280 with the exploded views if that would help. The 250 and 280 are much alike.
Can I get a copy of that PDF?
Two fold, I'd like to post it on our main page and I'm likely going to need to rebuild my Chrysler 12.9 hp electric start motor soon!

Thanks!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

69Shark wrote: I'm likely going to need to rebuild my Chrysler 12.9 hp electric start motor soon!
If you work on the lower end let me know...I can tell you a few things not to do for sure, lol...plus if you rebuild the fuel pump I've got a couple lessons learned the hard way there as well..
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Since you are new to boating, and talking cleaning carbs I'll add a don't to the thread. Don't run carb cleaner through your gas tank. Works OK for 4 cycle engines, but for 2 cycle, where the lube is in the gas, it will do an engine in.
Tranquil Chaos
Potomac Fever

Post by Potomac Fever »

Capt. Bondo wrote:I'll assume you are referring to a Chrysler 250 Outboard sailing motor (10hp).
Make sure all the pasages are clear and the float is adjusted.
I have PDF of the parts manual for a Chrysler 280 with the exploded views if that would help. The 250 and 280 are much alike.
Yes Capt. Bondo, If you could send the pdf to me that would be most helpful I'm sure! What do you mean to adjust the float? Good to know about the fuel pump, wouldn't have thought of that. Thank you!

You are right too it is a 250 or 280 - not sure why the prev. owner said 850.
Last edited by Potomac Fever on Wed May 11, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potomac Fever

Post by Potomac Fever »

EmergencyExit wrote:
69Shark wrote: I'm likely going to need to rebuild my Chrysler 12.9 hp electric start motor soon!
If you work on the lower end let me know...I can tell you a few things not to do for sure, lol...plus if you rebuild the fuel pump I've got a couple lessons learned the hard way there as well..
Ours is (we think) a 12hp too - I would love to get pointers on rebuilding the fuel pump. Not sure if it is completely necessary but as Capt. Bondo said we might as well take care of it while we're at it; esp. since we're in, as one might say, "uncharted waters" with this project and want to get it all taken care of, if possible, the first time around. Thanks too for the tip! - will call franzmarine to see if he has the gas fitting.
Potomac Fever

Post by Potomac Fever »

Paul wrote:Since you are new to boating, and talking cleaning carbs I'll add a don't to the thread. Don't run carb cleaner through your gas tank. Works OK for 4 cycle engines, but for 2 cycle, where the lube is in the gas, it will do an engine in.
Paul, you really saved us here! That's exactly what Mike was going to do - I'm so grateful -and so will he be when I tell him - that you mentioned it!

Laura
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I'd do the fuel pump as well. Wish I had included it when I did EE's tuneup....because I wound up with it back at the house 2 weeks later doing it. The rubber that is in those motors is easily damaged by ethanol, making it brittle and causing splits.

Couple of tips (for the 280 pump). The screws that hold it on were hard to get to and still get leverage on. Instead of trying to get to them with an offset screwdriver, I bought a mondo screwdriver..I think the thing is 14" long, and I went in from the front of the motor. I was going to drill an access hole, but it wasn't needed, the angle was okay.

Take pics of the way it comes apart, it was unclear to me in the manual.

And when putting it back together you may need to have a bit of something sticky on the various pieces. They tended to come un-aligned when I was trying to line the holes and screws up..you'll see what I mean..

Hope that helps !
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

There is a good fuel system claener that I have used for years. It is SEA FOAM. It was developed in the 40's for outboards.. I use it in my chainsaws, trimmers, outbaords and vehicles, gas and diesel. When used a a poorly running engine, you can hear the idle speed pick up as it runs through the engine.

I use 1/2 can in the crankcase shortly before an oil change and the other1/2 in the fuel tank to clean the injectors.

I have no stake in the company just a satisfied customer. You can read more about it at www.seafoamsales.com

Clair
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

I second that, Clair! I've not used it yet, but have heard nothing but good about it just recently. It's on my list.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Clair,

I agree on the SEAFOAM product. I have used it for years in just about every engine I have. I get it when it on sale at Advance Auto so it
isn't such a bad price overall.

Happy sailing. Jeff