Source for C-26 windows

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

Source for C-26 windows

Post by ronc98 »

My C-26 does not have the normal porthole windows, it has a sheet of lexan cut and siliconed to the outside of the hull. It works well and does not tend to leak however I want to remove the lexan and go back to the stock porthole windows. Does anyone know a source for these? The window itself is not the issue the frame is the issue. That is what I need.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I found this company this morning. They are way out of my price range however they make windows that are pretty close to the C-26 sizes. I think I will just give up the idea of having opening windows and make simple deadlights.

http://www.marinershardware.com/Prod-Portlights-E.php
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looking at your pics on the other thread - are those lexan sheets just covering the old portlight cutouts, or did the prvious owners enlarge the cutouts to that size ?
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

They are just lexan covers over the older cutouts. I made new ones last year. They seal up well and I like the look but I think I want to go back to the actual windows that will opens. I am just not sure I want to spend 1500 on new windows.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I was just thinking they do look good as is - and trust me, you'll find plenty of places to spend that 1500 as you go along - I'm threatening to re-christen Emergency Exit to "Tens and Twenties" when we relaunch <G>

I should be posting some new pics on our web site next week - getting her off the trailer, and of the worlds' ugliest rust covered keel.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I am starting to think you are right. At the least I will mill out alum frames for both the inside and outside to give it some strength. Right now I tear them up alot from misplaced feet on deck. I will more then likely paint the parts of those windows that to not line up with the holes in an attempt to hide what is under neith.

Alot of my work is going towards adding more water and fuel capacity so I can stay on board a bit longer.

I am looking forward to your pictures. Many of the things you have listed on the Chrysler forum are things I am going to do as well. So it is good to see everyone elses ideas.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

why are deadlights such a pain? This is perhaps the hardest part of this project. I thought painting Awlgrip at the min temp was tough. Nope not even close.

I have a CNC mill at my disposal and alot of PVC sheet so my deadlights are going to be framed with PVC. It will be very similiar to what the C-26 comes with however they will be slightly larger and be grey PVC. I will then install smoked lexan into the frames. They are going to be a clam shell type design that will clamp the window, seal and spaced between the hull.

Once all of this is done I will awlgrip them bright silver. So much for that 1200 for windows. I like this project a bit better I can program the cnc and come back an hour later and have a finished window.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

When I redid mine, I was surprised at what a loose sloopy fit the frames were to the hull.

I wound up with a smudge of sealant on one of my pieces of lexan, and I ain't taking it back out to replace it either ! It don't leak, and I ain't messing with it !

If I can't buff it out it will just stay that way.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Well my new design will not be loose like the older ones. I measured all the windows and have a pretty good model of the hole in the hull. Now it is a matter of just programming the CNC mill.